Room in a room build

You should be fine. Just pointing it out here for anyone else watching that you could achieve the same thing by using flexduct with three 90° bends and run it up in the attic. Sound doesn’t like to go around corners.

I hope when all is said and done, you will like the sound of your drums. Seems to me, just guessing, the room will kill all resonance or echo.

I hope when all is said and done, you will like the sound of your drums. Seems to me, just guessing, the room will kill all resonance or echo.

Stay tuned. When the basic room is all done, it will be smooth bare walls all around. When the room was like that before, it was unbearably echo-y. I put some minimal treatments up on the wall and was happy with how it sounded. That said, I don't have a very refined ear, so as long as it's not on the extremes (totally dead or echo chamber) I'll probably be happy enough.

Got the MDF (outer) layer up on the inside room, and part of the 5/8" drywall (with green glue in between), including ceiling. Boxes are sealed up and HVAC system functional. Drywall should get mostly or all done tomorrow, then we'll be waiting on doors and windows.

MVIMG_20200310_175618.jpg

Finished interior layer of drywall, texture and install of windows. Windows are super heavy laminated pane glass. We decided to cover the gap between inner and outer wall with a self adhesive mass loaded vinyl product normally used to sound dead cars. We did this for looks and to keep insulation particles from getting from the air gap area into the room (or between windows, which is inaccessible). The product is flexible, so will maintain acoustic isolation between inner and outer walls.

Here's the window opening with just the material across the gap. This and everything else between the windows was painted flat black for looks.

IMG_0820%20%281%29.jpg

Here it is with the two panes in place.

IMG_20200314_112826.jpg

A view of the other side.

IMG_20200314_112819.jpg

Now we are just waiting on some door parts. These will be heavy MDF doors on which we will mount another layer of 3/4" MDF with green glue. We will also have multiple layers of rubber seals all around. In the meantime, I will be finishing up the cosmetics with prime, paint, some interior acoustic treatments, register covers, etc.

Wow what a project I was stealing your ideas for my basement but my wife is worried about her parents in poor health so I’m moving back to Georgia . Downsizing again so got to rid of drum stuff . Boy my master drum room is looking like I’ll be in a closet or less. Damn best laid plans of mice and Art

The room is fully done except the doors. The day after the doors arrived, the city got put on virus lockdown and the contractor is not allowed to work. It'll be at least a month that I have a complete room with no doors... :mad: Getting the massive doors installed, aligned and sealed properly is not something I'll attempt to do myself.

The room is fully done except the doors. The day after the doors arrived, the city got put on virus lockdown and the contractor is not allowed to work. It'll be at least a month that I have a complete room with no doors... :mad: Getting the massive doors installed, aligned and sealed properly is not something I'll attempt to do myself.

What a bummer. I dont blame you, doors are a giant pain to hang by yourself. Your room looks great though.

That is a very nice job. Same size as my studio and my kit takes up half the space. Leaves room for my 4 Klipsch tower speakers and a couple racks housing extra snares and other misc. stuff. I love the window. Where do you live? Reminds me of Arizona down around Tucson.

looks really good, what are your plans for door and windows? they are my weak links in my studio......

looks really good, what are your plans for door and windows? they are my weak links in my studio......

If you look up a couple posts you can see the windows. I have a super heavy laminated glass window on the inside layer and outside layer. We lined the gap with flexible material and painted it black for looks.

I'll post more on the doors when they get installed, but there will be a door on the inside and outside layer, each extremely heavy and with double sealing all around. Each door is heavy MDF and we will put another layer of MDF with green glue as well.

But yeah, the windows in particular could be the weak point, but it sure is nice to have natural light.

How much dough did you sink in so far?

How much dough did you sink in so far?

Oh man. To be honest, I just cut checks and ordered stuff from Amazon and did not rack it up because I didn't want to know. My wife is angry. I hired a contractor to make sure it was done right and didn't take a year to complete, so that certainly added to it. Having said all that, it's at least $10K, maybe as high as $15K. Good doors alone are around $2K each. My philosophy was that if I was going to do it, I have to do it right or it could end up all being for nothing.

I make myself feel better by noting that I briefly shopped for a new car and ended up just keeping what I had...

Man are those 2 grand doors made for audiologist testing chambers or what purpose for such a costs? I wonder if you can buy old audiology testing booths-just modify it to make larger. Re-tool it for a new use.

Man are those 2 grand doors made for audiologist testing chambers or what purpose for such a costs? I wonder if you can buy old audiology testing booths-just modify it to make larger. Re-tool it for a new use.

You can make your own doors from layers of MDF if so desired, and save a little money. The seals and thresholds alone are remarkably expensive though. Acoustic doors weigh 200 pounds and up. We split the difference by buying very heavy MDF doors and seals separately, but not building completely from scratch. Here are some off the shelf examples:

These must be bargain ones because I got a quote from another place for $5K or something.

Yup, Tucson. Just a little out of city limits.
Thought so. I'm in Scottsdale and studio is down in Mesa. Thanks to tis Covid-19 crap I've not been able to go play my drums for 6 weeks! Sure wish I had the money to build a room or free standing studio in backyard. Stay well buddy.

Back