Rolls and Drumview video magazine

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Two-pronged post here.

First, an old friend of mine in L.A. started a video drum magazine... in 1987! It was called Drumview, and I'm not sure how many issues it lasted, but the debut issue was June, 1987, and featured drummer news, helpful segments with Michael Vosbein and Mark Craney, comments/latest news from Jonathan Moffett, Pat Foley, Myron Grombacher, Tommy Lee, Zoro, Don Lombardi et al, as well as interviews with Mike Baird, Terry Bozzio, Billy Cobham, and me! A very ambitious effort at the time for an individual to handle, and only in watching the episode as I digitized it did I appreciate how many great contacts the founder had.

It was distributed on VHS, and the production value was pretty simple, it was obviously a home-grown project but I think that was what made it cool. Again, I don't know how long it lasted and it wouldn't be long before all sorts of video content would be widely available online.

Second, in my interview, I do a little open roll demonstration. This was 37+ years ago and not everyone was hip to the 2nd stroke accent approach to developing rolls. But I did have nice rolls... not sure I can pull those off again without some practice! :)

Not fishing for compliments, I'd really forgotten how effortless that was for me at one time! 😮

Two-pronged post here.

First, an old friend of mine in L.A. started a video drum magazine... in 1987! It was called Drumview, and I'm not sure how many issues it lasted, but the debut issue was June, 1987, and featured drummer news, helpful segments with Michael Vosbein and Mark Craney, comments/latest news from Jonathan Moffett, Pat Foley, Myron Grombacher, Tommy Lee, Zoro, Don Lombardi et al, as well as interviews with Mike Baird, Terry Bozzio, Billy Cobham, and me! A very ambitious effort at the time for an individual to handle, and only in watching the episode as I digitized it did I appreciate how many great contacts the founder had.

It was distributed on VHS, and the production value was pretty simple, it was obviously a home-grown project but I think that was what made it cool. Again, I don't know how long it lasted and it wouldn't be long before all sorts of video content would be widely available online.

Second, in my interview, I do a little open roll demonstration. This was 37+ years ago and not everyone was hip to the 2nd stroke accent approach to developing rolls. But I did have nice rolls... not sure I can pull those off again without some practice! :)

Not fishing for compliments, I'd really forgotten how effortless that was for me at one time! 😮

That was one of the first things that my recently deceased friend Dennis told me to do when I started back playing. That advice was so solid for getting my double stroke rolls back up to scratch. They’re still not quite there but they’re a lot better.

Back