Roland TD20 brain display no longer works.

DrummerCA35

Any ideas appreciated. I have a TD20 V drum kit with the expansion board. I got it quite a long time ago… maybe around 2008 or 2009. I use it for practicing and gig on my acoustics. I love the Rolands. I know that there are newer models that have come out over the years but I really haven’t been motivated to buy them. The display on my kit has degraded to where it is so dim that I can’t see the read out anymore. It’s gotten worse over the years. I am wondering what to do. The kit is very old, so how much would it make sense to pay to have it repaired if it even can be repaired? I looked on Roland’s website and I only see one service center in my area. And it is a distance from here and not in an area that I want to go. Also, I have no complaints with the pads or cymbal pads.

Would it make sense to buy a new brain and use it with the old pads? Or to just buy a new roland kit? My kit would be worthless with the display problem and not sellable. Or to just see if I can have it repaired but at what price?

Or to take a chance and try to open up the brain and fix it myself based on videos I’ve seen?

I can afford a new kit. Also, at my age, this is likely going to be my last electronic kit. Assuming it lasts 15 to 20 years.

Any ideas appreciated. To get symbol pads that are as good as mine I would probably have to get top of the line.

Arkansmay

If you have reference material, I vote to tinker with it since there's nothing to lose. It's already broken, and you can afford a new one, right? I would hope that a new control module TD-whatever it's up to now, would be backwards compatible with your older pads and triggers. You will find out shortly, good luck!

DrummerCA35

If you have reference material, I vote to tinker with it since there's nothing to lose. It's already broken, and you can afford a new one, right? I would hope that a new control module TD-whatever it's up to now, would be backwards compatible with your older pads and triggers. You will find out shortly, good luck!
Thank you! I appreciate some voice of reason here. I looked on YouTube and there is a video that explains how to do it… and you are right… What do I have to lose?