Roland TD-4KP for MIDI

Bluest

Hello fellow drummers. I found a nearly new, only 8 hours playing time Roland electronic kit, Roland TD-4KP, for 300. dollars, and the seller lives in my town. Though I live for my analog drums, Premier and DW, I thought I might pick this up as I need a quiet practice kit for at my girlfriend's, and more importantly, want a way to input electronic drums into Logic Pro X.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this kit to accomplish that? I have a number of acoustic sounding and non traditional kits set up on my MacBook Pro, and hoped to trigger them via Logic... not for live performance on stage or anything ... just for recording my performance into a DAW via MIDI drums. I think this brain is probably not the most deluxe model, with fewer sounds, etc... but I honestly don't mind about that at all. I just need it to pass MIDI through via MIDI port or USB. Thank you for any thoughts, and please share your experience with this kit / these pads if you have any. Thanks again.

td-4kp_kit_main.jpg

electrodrummer

Bit of a dead-end kit and not massively flexible, but it's capable of sending MIDI notes, yes.

You need to hit the pads and see what you think. Oh, and download and read the manual to check specs, esp MIDI implementation.

ps. the hat controller (FD8)has a known issue with the rubber actuator requiring boiling and cutting (no joke - check YouTube etc) ;)

Bluest

Thanks so much for that highly useful information! Much appreciated. Tell me please, what about this Alesis Command kit? Do you feel it would 'play' better due to the pads feeling more real? I realize it would have many more kits loaded and more choices via the module... but I'm wondering, would the experience playing it, pedals and pads, and MIDI implementation be quite a step up?

Thank you for any reply.

electrodrummer

Thanks so much for that highly useful information! Much appreciated. Tell me please, what about this Alesis Command kit? Do you feel it would 'play' better due to the pads feeling more real? I realize it would have many more kits loaded and more choices via the module... but I'm wondering, would the experience playing it, pedals and pads, and MIDI implementation be quite a step up?

Thank you for any reply.
YOU need to play some pads. Only YOU can decide what you like. My Alesis gear has been less than reliable, it has to be said.

Go and hit some Roland pads, Yamaha silicone pads, Alesis pads.

Download and read the manuals to check specs.

If it's just for MIDI, then def check Yamaha modules as they offer 3-zone pads and MIDI note layering and switching, for example.

But it's all moot if you don't like the "feel" of a kit - and for every mesh lovers, there's a mesh hater (and rubber, etc!)

Nick74

Alesis/Medeli also just is not a serious competitor because of awful MIDI latency. ;) Use Roland module as trigger2midi because of best latency.