Roland TD-25K (V Drums) or Yamaha DTX 700

T.L.

I'm just wondering if anyone who's played the Yamaha DTX 700 can weigh in on the quality of that kit and how it would compare to the TD-25K V Drums.

I own the Rolands and am considering getting a second set (Yamaha or Roland) for practice at a different location. My budget is $2000-$3000 CAD.

I've read some posts on this site saying that a lower end Yamaha set (562) has problems with the high hat....

1. Is the high hat on the Yamaha 700 series problem-free?

2. The V Drums include an on-board recording function that allows for three minutes of recording without USB... (You can record with music played through an Ipad, for example). Does the Yamaha set have a similar feature?

I'll be playing this kit for practice purposes only. Any opinions and advice are welcomed.

Thanks!

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
I'm just wondering if anyone who's played the Yamaha DTX 700 can weigh in on the quality of that kit and how it would compare to the TD-25K V Drums.

I own the Rolands and am considering getting a second set (Yamaha or Roland) for practice at a different location. My budget is $2000-$3000 CAD.

I've read some posts on this site saying that a lower end Yamaha set (562) has problems with the high hat....

1. Is the high hat on the Yamaha 700 series problem-free?

2. The V Drums include an on-board recording function that allows for three minutes of recording without USB... (You can record with music played through an Ipad, for example). Does the Yamaha set have a similar feature?

I'll be playing this kit for practice purposes only. Any opinions and advice are welcomed.

Thanks!
I'd download the manual to check all the features. I know the Yamaha's have a bunch of cool features that were pushing me towards them when I was looking.

I think recording was one.. and being able to add my own samples.

If your getting new I wouldn't expect issues with the hats unless your abusing them.

If you own the Rolands your not new to Edrums. I'd go to the music shop and hit a set for a while and see if you like how they sound and feel.

T.L.

Thanks for the response... I plan to find a store with the Yamaha kit on the floor and try it out.

SonDrum

Hello;

I've been using the KV'S for around 3 months at a church I go to. I touch them once a week or so, so I don't get a lot of extra time with them. The biggest issue I have with them, is the dynamics. I'll hit them just a little to the side or with a little different force, & the results don't mimic an acoustic set. I mainly have issues with the snare. The rim shots go down in volume which is unrealistic. The center hot spot sometimes is over exaggerated, & sounds a little fake. If I crash a cymbal sometimes it's lost, even though there was reasonably effort, then when I hit it the next time I smack it & it's way too much.
I've looked into the sensitivity but it didn't seem to change things that drastically for me. Also why should I have to do that. With an acoustic set, it doesn't change for each player. I would think that the default setting would have this taken care of. Aside from that, they are fine drums and are doing a pretty good job for us as we use a schools gym for services, & need to control the volume etc.
I've not used the full Yamaha comparative kit, but I did compare the roland spd pad, which I purchased, & took that back to the yamaha multi12 which I own. Actually in this case but in a different way, it again was sensitivity & dynamics. In this case I preferred the mulit twelve, & was told the spd was a sampler, so you had to crack it a bit to trigger it(Tried everything with settings as I recall with support). No Thanks for me. It was a big let down, in that I had used an old roland octapad 8 without sounds powered drum machine & sensitivity dynamics were very good. It's almost as though that's not as important as it used to be.

I would very thoroughly look at both, & not assume the Rolands are tops.

Defender

Silver Member
I've got a Yamaha DTX 520 (with the older 500 brain) and I absolutely LOVE it.. It beats Roland hands down. An extra cymbal pad or tom pad is about 3 times more if you buy a Roland than with a Yamaha.. In my mind, that's the biggest reason NOT to buy Roland.. It's literal high-way robbery what they price gouge people for a pad.

electrodrummer

Roland TD-25 doesn't have MIDI in. That alone would stop me even looking at it. (not to mention the spider/octopus cable...).

.. but that's just me ;-)