Roland TD-20 - Who owns/knows 'em?

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
I"m in the situation where I can get an e-kit for practicing and recording. Anybody have these that they can recommend or give advice?

Best bang for the buck is the DTXtreme III (used) or a new DTX950/900 kit....good bit cheaper than the TD-20 and every bit as good if not better....

Best bang for the buck is the DTXtreme III (used) or a new DTX950/900 kit....good bit cheaper than the TD-20 and every bit as good if not better....

Oh! That's interesting to hear. What makes the Yamaha better? Thanks...

I"m in the situation where I can get an e-kit for practicing and recording. Anybody have these that they can recommend or give advice?

I find them excellent for playing or practicing - many great sounds, very configurable. They are a bit different to play than a-s. The rebound is different (not worse, just different).

If you have the $s to get one they are well worth it - but go to a drum shop and have a play on one first - just because I like them doesn't mean that other will.... ;-)

Oh! That's interesting to hear. What makes the Yamaha better? Thanks...

- Three zones on all pads (ie., snare and toms) and cymbals..kick and hihat are single and dual zone respectively...
- Ability to sample your own sounds
- Ability to stack drum sounds/samples
- Real drum samples, such as Maple custom, Beech Custom, Birch Custom, etc..
- Support from 3rd party drum samples such OWD, SSD, yamaha europe
- Feature set on the module is better IMO...a little more editing capability, groove check, play along song selection is better (ability to drop drums out of preloaded songs for practice is a nice feature)
- Personally, IMO the snares and kicks are more realistic, toms are a wash...however, I'm sure you'll find Roland guys that would argue that...I have owned both brands....just my 2 cents...I would definitely try before you buy.....

Last edited:
I'd go with Scorch Whammin on this.........

I've owned a TD-8K and TD-10 EXP and I've now got a DTXtreme III and it kills the Rolands in my opinion..............I've played the TD-20 and TD-20 EXP and stil thikn the Yamaha is better...........

Only gripe for my on the DTXtreme is the Kick, it can get sensor problems and I had to get a new one which was like $250 as I got my kit second hand.........

Pads feel better to me, as was said kicks and snares are better on the Yamaha's but toms as like the Roland don't do it for me......

Go over to vdrums.com

There is a wealth of information available for you there. It is mainly a Roland hangout but there are Yamaha guys on there. I have a hybrid of a Roland TD20, all Roland cymbals, and Yamaha drum pads. Ekits are great for practice and jamming when its late in the evening.

Last edited:
Great! Thanks for the help guys.

- Three zones on all pads (ie., snare and toms) and cymbals..kick and hihat are single and dual zone respectively...
- Ability to sample your own sounds
- Ability to stack drum sounds/samples
- Real drum samples, such as Maple custom, Beech Custom, Birch Custom, etc..
- Support from 3rd party drum samples such OWD, SSD, yamaha europe
- Feature set on the module is better IMO...a little more editing capability, groove check, play along song selection is better (ability to drop drums out of preloaded songs for practice is a nice feature)
- Personally, IMO the snares and kicks are more realistic, toms are a wash...however, I'm sure you'll find Roland guys that would argue that...I have owned both brands....just my 2 cents...I would definitely try before you buy.....

(ability to drop drums out of preloaded songs for practice is a nice feature)

I can drop the drums out of preloaded songs on my TD9 SX, I can't imaging that the 20's don't have the capability.....?

(ability to drop drums out of preloaded songs for practice is a nice feature)

I can drop the drums out of preloaded songs on my TD9 SX, I can't imaging that the 20's don't have the capability.....?

Yea the TD9 has that feature...but I don't believe the TD20 or the TD12 have that feature....after all the TD9 is a newer module...

Back