Roland TD-20 quantize question

actional

I am recording VDrums on a project in my home studio.
I have hooked up and can run the sequencer in the TD-20 module by sending a midi clock signal from my Korg D-1600 DAW and returning 6 lines back. Works just fine. But I'd like to leave a complete drum performance as a pattern on the sequencer so I may mess with instrument parameters later.
This requires a complete drum performance beginning to end.
Since you can't punch in and fix any tempo errors on the pattern ( only delete, copy, or insert measure ) I've tried guessing which quantize setting to use but never have any good results. It seems either to " NOT" correct or to over correct and mess things up.
The Korg doesn't have a quantize feature to play with afterwards. In fact, it's only MIDI function is as a clock Master.
Anybody doing anything similar to this? Any " go to ' settings on the quantize that seem to work best?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure I can help but i'll ask this. Why don't you record the performance as midi in Logic or Protools or whatever software you have - then you can correct it to your hearts content and then use the file in the sequencer or as a loop? I use a midi interface (Edirol UA EX25) and connect via USB into my MacBookPro.

Peace
Davo

I don't know anything about the Korg, but

When you quantize, you are altering the performance recorded, there is no such thing as a degree of quantize, you either do it, or don't.

Many quantize programs offer such options as "swing" and/or "randomize" to make the recording sound "less quantized" however, that is not lessening the degree of quantization of what you recorded, that is just further altering of what was recorded.

Much like the previous poster said, if you run this through a recording software program on a computer, then you have the options to change individual notes or sections, and/or quantize specific notes rather than the whole performance.

Back