Roland TD-15 module not sending MIDI data over USB? Help!

Ok, Doraemon, thanks for this. Turns out, after your last post and me researching a little more, that the TD-15 is just too darn long in the tooth. I think Roland stopped making it in 2016 so it has not been supported (firmware or USB drivers for computers) for six years and thus the latest Mac OS won't work with it. I can either install a 6 year old version of Mac OS, which means bugger all will work on it except the TD-15, or just sell TD-15 brain and buy a TD-17 instead, which should sort all my problems. But not happy about having to give Roland £500, knowing they will do this to me again in a few years...

Guys, I really appreciate all your efforts, but everybody seems to be missing one very big point in all this. My Yamaha Multi 12 and my Alesis Strike Pad Pro both work perfectly and they transmit midi data and it shows up in midi monitor etc and everything is fine with these so I know what I'm doing on this front. The issue is not the computer or computer settings or midi input settings on the computer. The issue is the Roland TD-15 is simply not sending any midi data out to the USB port, that's the issue. So there is a setting in the Roland TD-15 somewhere that has to be changed to allow it to send midi data out and I can't find any setting that says 'enable midi out' on the module.
I did say before that you were able to get other devices to work, so that points to the driver not being compatible with your version of mac

Ok, Doraemon, thanks for this. Turns out, after your last post and me researching a little more, that the TD-15 is just too darn long in the tooth. I think Roland stopped making it in 2016 so it has not been supported (firmware or USB drivers for computers) for six years and thus the latest Mac OS won't work with it. I can either install a 6 year old version of Mac OS, which means bugger all will work on it except the TD-15, or just sell TD-15 brain and buy a TD-17 instead, which should sort all my problems. But not happy about having to give Roland £500, knowing they will do this to me again in a few years...
I'm having the same issue. I've had my TD15 for many years in storage. Took it out today to track drums and ran into the MIDI issue. If you haven't already given up, remember that the TD15 has standard MIDI out, so USB and drivers is not your only option. Another option is a MIDI - USB dongle. I'm actually going to try a MIDI Bluetooth wireless one. It will have a bit of latency but i'm hoping not too bad.

Ok so I received the CME WIDI Master. It adds about 2-3ms milliseconds of extra latency, but it is completely wireless and self powered (no batteries). It basically gives you wireless midi to your Mac. And I say Mac, but I believe it also works for iPad/Iphone. I can't comment on Windows machines. But anyone struggling to get a Roland TD-15 connected to an Apple Mac for midi into your DAW, Addictive Drums, Toontrack, etc. Forget about the USB (drivers are not being kept updated by Roland) and just use standard midi. Buy a 5-pin din MIDI to USB dongle or try out the CME WIDI Master or Roland equivalent wireless bluetooth. It works perfectly, as good as the USB ever did.
IMG_2185.HEIC.jpg

Good advice guys. Even Roland UK had no clue that Roland had stopped developing the drivers, they could not figure this out.
Anyway, I bought an Arturia MiniFuse 2 audio interface for £125 new. It gets amazing reviews as an audio interface, has two inputs in the front so I have two choices. I can come out of the R/L jack outputs of the TD-15 into the two front inputs of the Arturia to record the built in Roland sounds along with any backing track that I send through the TD-15 also. Or I can come out of the 5-pin MIDI out of the TD-15 into the 5-pin MIDI in of the Arturia to record midi data for using Addictive Drums etc. Doing the latter with Addictive Drums open in Logic Pro with the latency control in Logic turned on so I don't get latency it works perfectly - happy with this way of working now and saves me having to spend £600 on a TD-17 ;)

Thanks for posting guys. guittar1, the dongle looks interesting and I've seen a guy use on on YouTube. Cheaper option than what I went for, but I guess I just like a cable between bits of kit ;)

Back