Roland PM 100

Good Karma

Has anyone else had problems with this monitor? This is the second one that the tweeter has failed. The first one was a warranty replacement, now the second is out of warranty.
Example: If the volume level is controlled 1 thru 10 I've never had either of these two above level 4, it's not like I'm cranking up the volume. This is so frustrating

Morrisman

Platinum Member
Interesting. I have the older PM10 which has worked solidly for years as a vocal foldback/music playback wedge for gigs and home practice.

I wonder if they increased the power from 30W to 100W but kept the same tweeter?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Does it have any sort of crossover? If so, your crossover might be bad. If this is the case, you’ll blow every tweeter you put in there.

dboomer

Example: If the volume level is controlled 1 thru 10 I've never had either of these two above level 4, it's not like I'm cranking up the volume. This is so frustrating

You are misunderstanding what that volume control does. Amplifiers themselves always run at full gain. The “volume” control is really a “sensitivity” control and controls how much signal you put into the amp. So if your input signal is strong you can get full power out on “one”. And if the signal is weak enough you may not get full power even on 10. I'm guessing in your case you are driving the input too hard and should turn down the output of your module and then turn up the volume control on your amp.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Does it have any sort of crossover? If so, your crossover might be bad. If this is the case, you’ll blow every tweeter you put in there.
If it has the wrong xover that could do it also. If the ohms supplied to the tweeter are greater than what the tweeter can handle, the tweeter will continue to blow. 2ohm xover into 4ohm tweeter; dead tweeter. 4ohm xover into 2ohm tweeter, good to go.

If the cabinet is passive and power is supplied by an amp, the same thing can happen if the resistance (ohms) supplied by the amp is less than what the cabinet can handle. The smaller the number, the less resistance, the more electricity flows through the circuit. So a 2ohm circuit feeding a 4ohm object results in a cooked object. However, a 2ohm object can receive 4ohms.

Good Karma

I kinda understand what dboomer and mr.insane are saying. Out of the box, day one: After I went into my internal module settings and adjusted my levels and sounds to my liking, I adjusted the external settings on my module or monitor. These have never changed in two year. Please view attached pictures.
As a side Note: the first monitor last about a week and the tweeters failed, the second monitor I had no problems for two years. Now last week, the tweeter failed again
Super grateful for the help,thank you.

Attachments

• 0_15975945312861.jpg
    0_15975945312861.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 6
  • 0_15975945087410.jpg
    0_15975945087410.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 6

dboomer

When you burn out a tweeter it either happens because it was mis manufactured (maybe your problem the first time as things built wrong tend to fail quickly) or it is overdriven for a long enough period of time.

Turn down the treble boost on the module. It’s a volume control too so you are driving the treble harder than the bass. So more power to the tweeter.

I wouldn’t worry about the crossover unless you have been modifying the unit. How else could it possible change?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I wouldn’t worry about the crossover unless you have been modifying the unit. How else could it possible change?
I wasnt trying to suggest a change, more of a manufacturing error. I used to get boxes with 1 wrong crossover in them quite often. If one isnt paying attention it's easy to let slip by. But I reread the OP and think this is the second cabinet, not just second tweeter. I had thought a tweeter blew, so the tweeter was replaced. But now I think the whole cabinet was replaced, so my thought about the xover is moot.

Good Karma

I will try the suggestions listed above. It might be a bit before I can purchase a new monitor. Thanks again for the help.

Niucars

I will try the suggestions listed above. It might be a bit before I can purchase a new monitor. Thanks again for the help.
Hi

Just wondering if you ever got to the bottom of this? The tweeter in my PM100 appears to have also stopped working so looks to be blown.
I’ve removed and and it is indeed not working. I’ve ordered a more powerful replacement so might just adjust the cabinet a little

Good Karma

Hi

Just wondering if you ever got to the bottom of this? The tweeter in my PM100 appears to have also stopped working so looks to be blown.
I’ve removed and and it is indeed not working. I’ve ordered a more powerful replacement so might just adjust the cabinet a little
I did, ordered it from Roland. They are aware of the of the problem and changed to a heavier resistor. Of course i had to pay for it, i think it was around $30 US. Its been awhile and i'm not sure if these numbers are correct. The original tweeter was a 5 ohm and my replacement is an 8 ohm. Its been about 8 months since i replaced it and as of now it seems to be holding up

Niucars

I did, ordered it from Roland. They are aware of the of the problem and changed to a heavier resistor. Of course i had to pay for it, i think it was around $30 US. Its been awhile and i'm not sure if these numbers are correct. The original tweeter was a 5 ohm and my replacement is an 8 ohm. Its been about 8 months since i replaced it and as of now it seems to be holding up
Ahh great stuff, thanks for letting me know