Roland KD-11K .......FD-8 Foot pedal issue

Kenny202

Using this foot pedal on a TD-11K kit. The rubber was shot when I bought it but useable. I just replaced the rubber and everything seems to be in place. I was very gentle with the sensor and cable. Pulled it apart twice and checked it.

The pedal itself is working and opening and closing and doing what it should when I am tapping it no issues. I notice now though if I just pump the pedal like a normal hi hat there is no sound of the HH opening and closing just using the pedal only? (Chick sound) I have been through HH settings on the instrument and in pad settings and can't see anything obvious to turn this on an off? Also went into system / pad settings and can't see anything there? If you go into advanced on the sensitivity settings it shows you a digital meter and can see the pedal meter saying the pedal is increasing and decreasing fully.

Is there something I may have inadvertently turned off in the menu or something I can check? I have double checked the sensor connections and look ok. I see the HH control cable is only a mono jack.....Any help appreciated

Kenny202

All sorted...very simple really and don't see much about it on you tube or forums etc, even though there is tons on stuff specifically on changing the rubbers, putting vaseline on the rubber to make them more flexible. I just changed the rubber thinking all my issues solved. These rubbers come with a little bag of grease that you would assume are to oil up the rubber....you see many videos guys smearing vaseline all over the rubber to preserve it. What I don't see too much is that the grease in the little bag comes with the rubber not for this purpose at all. It is to be put on the top of the rubber and smeared under the foot of the L bracket that contacts the top of the rubber. I don't know why this would make a difference but it clearly does as now my HH pedal working perfectly complete with chick sound :)

ColdFusion

That's great news! Nothing quite as frustrating as having a V-kit with one thing not working right, lol.

You might already know this, but there is a separate menu for adjusting the HH 'chick' volume specifically, and also the volume of the wood cross stick sound.
When you are in the menu where you are adjusting the tuning and muffling of an individual drum or cymbal, there is another tab in the bottom right called "Kit Volume". In that menu are just three settings, the 'hihat chick', the 'cross stick click', and an individual "kit volume" setting that allows you to make each preset kit louder or quieter than your other preset kits. So you don't have to mess with the volume knobs every time you switch to another kit.

Pro Tip: I selected one generic User Kit (named it something like "Silent" or "Practice") and turned the 'kit volume' setting all the way down. Now I can sometimes use the V-Drums as a silent practice pad kit while still taking advantage of the onboard metronome to practice to. The metronome sound won't be affected by the "kit volume" setting. (If you sometimes also play acoustic drums, it's a good idea to warm up for a while on your V-kit with the sound turned off so the acoustic kit won't feel so big and awkward.)

Kenny202

Nah seen that mate, though often forget where it is when I want to use it though lol. Usually go and look in system / pads. So far bro haven't found much that you can't adjust perfectly to your own spec :) Never been able to get everything 100% balanced before. Always some niggle :) or something standing out too much or not enough