Roland HPD-20

Mick_Link

Does anyone have any experience with the Roland Handsonic HPD-20 to report?
Is it worth the purchase?
Is it easy to integrate while playing drums (loops/sequenzer)?
Thanks

electrodrummer

Got a 15. Jolly good unit.

Not sure what you mean by "integrate while playing drums"....

harryconway

Platinum Member
You shouldn't use sticks on it ..... so if your want to use sticks ..... something like the SPD-SX or SPD-30 would be the way to go.

wildbill

Platinum Member
I had the previous version - HPD-10.
The smaller pads are meant for fingers, the larger ones for hands - at least that's the way I used it.

A good alternative if you want to use both sticks and/or hands is the Yamaha DTX-M12.
I have one of those now, and it works well for both.

I also have an SPD-30, and I like that one better for sticks - not so good for hands though,
and you can't load in any new sounds, like you can on the Yamaha.

The Yamaha also has deeper programming options with things like 4 way velocity switching, layering and so on.

Zaxx

Does anyone have any experience with the Roland Handsonic HPD-20 to report?
Is it worth the purchase?
Thanks
I owned one for about five minutes (obtained from a retailer who offered 30-day no-quibble returns,) and hated it. I'm a competent conguero and loved the idea of a digital hand drum, but found it horrible to play, with poor sensitivity and a playing surface that felt like you were slapping a tractor tyre/tire. I was glad to see the back of it. The Korg WaveDrum lacks the HPD-20's multipad configuration but is a much better playing experience.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
I had the HPD20 for a few weeks.

A killer sound set for percussionist and a great feel and sensitivity.

loading samples was another plus, so was the usb to control midi and it being an audio interface too.

I really loved it, and still feel bunmed I had to sell it.

loved using it at the jam too.

It can be used with hands and sticks equal depending on the settings used.

The Yamaha Multi 12 is a kiler unit too.

This one is better for sticks, has a more orchestral/asian sound set, and more midi options, but its bigger and really more aimed to the drummer/producer.