Roland HD1 Pedal Problem

Eric M

My Hi Hat and Kick pedals have both packed up on me. The kit has lain unused for 6 months and it was fine then but now nothing. l have tried the cuts and Vaseline trick on the rubber pad to no avail. If I plug in an FD7 pedal both work OK. Any thoughts?
Eric

Eric M

Not sure what a piezo sensor is but it certainly is not a switch. It is a big rubber boot affair which presses on a flat strip.

There are two types - a piezo detects the vibrations and increases the signal as you press harder, a switch is either on or off. On these silent pedals the bass drum is usually a piezo and the hi-hat is a switch. I have the Yamaha equivalent. The piezo shouldn't be damaged by being left - unless it got wet or damp, but the switch in the hi-hat is very delicate and if it got clogged with dirt or dust it might not work properly. You might be able to see a small rubber sensor under the pedal, check to see if there is any dirt or debris over it. It seems unlikely both pedals would just stop working - so maybe try resetting the drum module to factory settings and make sure they are plugged into the right inputs because a bass pedal won't work in a hi-hat connector and vice-versa. Other test would be to plug the pedals into a different brain or module to see if they work there - the bass drum pedal should work in any of the Tom or snare inputs too...

Last edited: