Rogers Powertone COS

BachBeat

Hi folks -

First post - great to be here! Drummer from Perth, Western Australia.

My question to the collective knowledge is this:

Is there such a thing as a genuine Rogers Powertone COS?

If so, I'm pretty sure I have one. Was given to me for free by a friend who just had it sitting in his shed deteriorating. 14 x 5, 8 lugs, good condition, magnet sticks to the shell (so not COB), has "Rogers Powertone" 20xxx, etc. on the paper tag inside the shell...

Any info would be really welcome - very happy to post pics if requested...

Thanks!

Last edited:

simmsdn

Silver Member
Hi folks -
14 x 5, 8 lugs, good condition, magnet sticks to the shell (so not COB), has "Rogers Powertone" 20xxx, etc. on the paper tag inside the shell...

Any info would be really welcome - very happy to post pics if requested...

Thanks!
8-lug steel Powertone? Hmmm....will have to open up my Rogers book and find out...sounds peculiar to me.

Post some pictures of the tag inside the shell, lugs, throw-off, and the badge. That should give me a good frame of reference to compare with the literature.

Sounds like if anything, it's a late 70s version (when they were bought out by a megalo music company that destroyed the quality).

tamadrm

Platinum Member
According to the catalogues,the Powertone was introduced in 64, with a brass shell,and 8 lugs,and phased out aroung 75-76,in favor of the super ten,which was a steel shell,with 10 lugs.Your drum should not exist,but it could be a prototype.I have seen prototype Rogers drum sets,with lugs that were different then the standard beavertails,so anything is possible.If that's the case,then you may have a valuable drum there.

Post some pics if you can,especialy of the paper tag.Cheers

Steve B

JohnPloughman

Silver Member
Anything is possible.

Does the magnet lightly stick to the shell or is it well stuck to the shell? Chrome over brass will pull on the magnet, but it will not stick firmly.

As for the possibility, there was a Rogers Powertone sold recently that ended up in the hands of one of the drum strippers on ebay, the shell on that drum was aluminum, not brass. And, it was genuine Rogers. So, there is a possibility a true steel shell Powertone exists. a 20xxx serial should have a Dayton tag, and be from -69 just prior to the Fullerton era.

BachBeat

Hi folks -

Thank you for your replies :)

I've done a little testing, and a magnet does stick to the shell, but not as hard as it sticks to the hoops, so that's probably an indication that it's attracted to the screws/mounts inside, methinks... It's just that it really clamps onto the hoops, but not as much to the shell...

I've attached some pics so that you have a better idea of what we're looking at.

Thanks for taking an interest, everyone :)

(Also, put my first Acro on layby today...sounds great!)

Attachments

tamadrm

Platinum Member
There seems to be no pitting on the shell,but there is on the COS hoops.Thats another indicator of a brass shell.I've never seen a brass shell with chrome "acne",like you get with steel,or aluminum.

If the magnet isn't as attracted to the shell as the COS rims,its most probably a brass shell.If you did the same test on a different drum,that you knew was definately a steel shell,you would see the difference.There should be a very strong attraction, if the shell is steel.Cheers

Steve B

BachBeat

Well, thank you all for your replies - the mystery is certainly solved! COB it is :)

Thanks for your help!

JohnPloughman

Silver Member
The sticking of the magnet on the shell is indicative of COB shells. Sticking lightlyh, but not solid. This is an early fullerton, late 69, early 70. Shiney fullerton chrome. And, a very good drum.