Rogers Mardi Gras Finish

Ransan

I wanted to take this rare opportunity to show what I have found in my ongoing Rogers Mardi Gras finish research.

This finish was available for a short time, and is considered one of the ‘Holy Grail’ finishes that are hard to come by.

Jim Messina on his YouTube vid did a great job pointing out the discernment between two MG finishes about a decade ago but the images were not up to par.

So I wanted to show some visual aids that give a great presentation of the difference between MG finishes that Rogers briefly offered.

Here are a few pics of my 13” toms both in MG finish.
One is an Eagle Badge from the 50s and the other Script Badge from early 60s to show that MG finishes are indeed slightly different.

Per the Rogers catalog from drum archive.com, the finish in the 50s was called Sparkling Mardi Gras Pearl. This is characterized by dense areas of small foil bits, making the hue look gold spark-lish.

Below is my 13” Eagle Badge tom and a couple of pages from the 57 catalogue, (Maxwell has this starting in 58.).
Note the finish is not listed in the color directory, but if you look at the Holiday model finish options you see it in No. 953 SMGP, it is only in the Holiday model at this time the finish is offered - which mine are.
EF60C6A5-C585-42A0-9B17-8F5031FF327F.jpeg
80499390-6237-4543-BAA0-B36C0BCFCC64.jpegA9C0D440-EA7C-4C2E-B0F3-7CCABF42E7BA.jpeg

By the time 1960 rolled around, the finish had been slightly altered simply to No. 1163 Mardi Gras Pearl.

Here is my 13” Script tom, note it has less dense effects with the foil bits making the black more prevalent and losing its ‘Sparkle’ character.
Also below in the ‘60 catalog you see the finish change and the color sample in 62 catalog - both were to MGP.
3C734AC6-0C43-4491-9E95-1F1ECF18D2F1.jpeg
FB13F3D8-7801-4A09-ACFE-695CB276C97B.png
5B632E37-55C4-408B-B34C-B426A219EBFB.png

Here are my two 13” toms side by side:
Left - No. 953 Sparkling MG Pearl
Right - No. 1163 MG Pearl
06D917C0-63EB-4763-A7F5-9CA22C0FB665.jpeg

Last edited:

Bozozoid

Rogers drums will forever have a special place in my heart. Maxwell is a dear soul..god bless him. I prefer the script logo finish but love them both. Thanks for the trip down memory lane with the Rogers color options it warmed my heart this morning.

incrementalg

Gold Member
The only two Mardi Gras finishes I know of are the current one from Gretsch and your Rogers. I don’t care for the Gretsch one...it looks like colors you’d see on a 3 year old’s birthday cake. I really like the Rogers version...it looks like, real, old school confetti in motion.
Nice find and great job cleaning those up!

Ransan

Rogers drums will forever have a special place in my heart. Maxwell is a dear soul..god bless him. I prefer the script logo finish but love them both. Thanks for the trip down memory lane with the Rogers color options it warmed my heart this morning.
I love watching Maxwell shed on rare kits, he is a credit to drum history. I did call and speak to Noah from Maxwells Chicago location about what I discovered. He went immediately to his show room started to look at his MG stock and we sorta geeked out for a minute.

Yes I have only seen the No. 1153 MG finish when they are up for sale or in articles as this was my second first hand experience in touching and holding a set of of MG drums. The first were Script in the No. 1153 finish. That’s the finish we are more used to seeing.

When I first saw these, I immediately saw a gold hue and thought ‘sunburn’. Fast forward to taking the kit home and detailing, the shells were still glossy and very well intact. Knowing the owner from previous time, he had these in cases as this was his second MG kit. This Eagle Badge was his ‘baby’. A year and half ago I almost purchased a script logo 5 piece top hat with snare (again) from him in MG. There’s a thread somewhere here on it.

The only two Mardi Gras finishes I know of are the current one from Gretsch and your Rogers. I don’t care for the Gretsch one...it looks like colors you’d see on a 3 year old’s birthday cake. I really like the Rogers version...it looks like, real, old school confetti in motion.
Nice find and great job cleaning those up!
Yes that’s sorta true on the Gretsch MG, it’s not an original finish for Gretsch. That’s why it looks a little off, the finish is very hard to recreate as the Rogers confetti effect was used with foil bits and not glitter sparkles. Mr. Maxwell loves the finish so much he commissioned I believe Precision Drum Co.? to remake and slap the MG wraps on a few maybe even custom orders on the Broadkaster or Brooklyn series - I believe.
Maxwell used a script tom in No. 1153 MGP for the wrap design template, and it’s a little more galaxy-ish with dense sparkles than it is an MG with confetti that does not sparkle.

Now on that note, this is just my opinion, I think that is far reaching of a thing to do because MG is Rogers - through and through, but Maxwell is more of genius than I even know, so there may be more to it.

Last edited:

Ransan

Love it. I learn something every day.
Thanks for your interest Harry, I do love perusing through the historical realm, there is so much to take away and learn from.

Nice work mate...and love your drums! (y) :)
Thanks Al! I love the kit as well, the sound is very warm and open. I have in mind to get 8 of the new repro bnbs double snare lugs so I can crank the snare like Dave Clark👌

Lee-Bro

Thank you so much for sharing. I saw a MG kit when I was a kid, but haven't seen one in person since. I'd love to have one as an option to take out to a gig.

Ransan

Thank you so much for sharing. I saw a MG kit when I was a kid, but haven't seen one in person since. I'd love to have one as an option to take out to a gig.
You bet my friend - Glad to contribute!

Though I don’t know if I’d chance gigs on a kit like this unless they are the one offs that are very special occasions.

Last edited: