Rogers DynaSonic 6.5x14 Blue Onyx Reissue problem!! FIRST POST EVER HERE

Jaycurrytrainer

This is my first post ever. Without too much history (I’d be free to explain another time) and am very new to drums in terms of technology. I am not new to the drums as voice to express myself. My level of drums themselves in terms of heads, tuning, sizes, etc….all the basics, I know very little at best. Alternately my car cost more the my first home and I just expanded my business to twice its share footage. My point is neither to brag nor to minimize but I am a new member here and I would just like everyone to know what I’m about and who I am. I don’t need things broken down into directions designed for a 1st grader, I may not quite understand why a die cast hoop would make a drum sound different from a triple flanged or S hoop. Thank you
CURRENT QUESTION
I am absolute sucker for cool vintage gear as a child of the 80s so when the resissue of the Rogers Dynasonic was brought to my attention, onto the Drum Center of Portsmouth’s packing floor it went. I was excited as all of you are when it was FedEx Day and I already got the text so you know I’m already in the window…..don’t look at me like that, you do it too….very much the way we used to feel about Santa when we still believed. FOCUS..FedEx delivers the box without issue and truth be told, it had a full set of Meinl Byzance cymbals inside and there is a good chance there may have been another snare packed in my box of joy so there is a strong possibility of a distraction but I did take a look at the Rogers.
Let me explain my first few steps whenever obtaining a new snare drum.
-remove stock batter/reso and store together
-0000 steel wool hoops (this was not necessary as they are new)
-Remo Coated Ambassador Top/Remo Hazy Snare side
-I do not overtighten the reso head. I am usually told that it’s too loose. I do not overtighten the batter either but I also don’t like it dead. It’s fair to say that I keep my snare at a medium.
-I prefer 30ct snare wires that I will adjust so that the wires do not choke the tone of the drum
DYNASONIC EXPERIMENT
Ambassador coated top medium-tight
Hazy clear bottom tight
Snare wires? Is this where the trick is? I make sure that the grey rubber caps at the end of the snare tracks are in place. Nothing is “tight” but everything is where I think it should be. I follow the same snare wire settings as always where I slowly close the distance between the reso head and the snare wires. When I can hear the snares touching when the reso head, I’m really close. I don’t subscribe to the tightening the snare wires to muffle the overtone. It’s inferior and detrimental especially when you may be using a very musical material for that drum shell.
I tried playing with the snare wires that are the white cords they supply.I used them to loosen and tighten the wires. I could not find a setting that I enjoyed playing and this is batter medium-tight reso tight. I gave this experiment about 40mins of effort that night.
DYNASONIC EXPERIMENT #2
After disappointing results the first time, the drum went back into the case, in the studio and on the shelf until yesterday when the Gods of Thunder inspired me to further investigate the folklore of the Rogers Dyna Sonic? Why have I heard of this drum? Why is it one of the most expensive drums to buy now with alll of the modern technology of the newest innovations. I spent hours upon hours of head combinations at all tunings. I tired muffled, I tried unmuffled. Every drummer has had their favorite head, stick, something discontinued and it’s disheartening. My favorite head is an Aquarian New Orleans Special which is looks like a very large white dot which is coated. It’s like having a clear head about an inch and then it’s a coated head. Anyway, I love them and save them because they make any drum sound good. Not the Dynasonic!! I DONT UNDERSTAND!! I know this is a long post but it’s better to pay attention to what I’m saying NOW only IF…….ONLY IF you plan to reply. The time it saves by getting to know me now saves everyone’s time later. I try to give as much detail as I can so that it’s easier for you to help me. I can only hope that if anyone out there needs help t please ask me. This is all new to me but I would help any way I can. BACK TO THE ROGERS……I spent a good amount of time with the Evans torque wrench as well as the tunebot getting the heads accurate. I tuned them up and down together and then tried with them further apart. I did this with 3 sets of heads, actually 4
Batter. reso
Remo coated amb. Remo Clear amb
Evans UV1 Evans Snare Side 300
Aquarian Hi Energy. Aquarian hi-sense
Aquarian New Orleans

I didn’t love any of them but the Evans UV1 combo worked out. The conclusion that I drawing is that this is a drum designed to be tuned up high as was the times then but then why make the reissue so thick with Rerings. I love this drum, I want to love playing it. Please help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 10

JimmyM

Gold Member
I feel your pain. No matter what instruments we play, we gel with certain ones and don't gel with others that we really want to love. Like my main instrument is bass, and I really want to love Rickenbackers and Alembics, but I hate them. Great choices for some people, very high end and forward thinking for the times they came on the market, just not for me.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Heads make a difference, and are a very subjective choice (I prefer the Evans ST batter.)

Wires do make a difference as well, and I tend to stay away from the esoteric wires. The $10-12 wires from Gibraltar, Pearl etc sound great to me. If using cord on them, make sure they run through the holes (in the end plate) so the cord is on top of the plate as you look at it. This helps press the wires into the head a bit, as opposed to the other way which results in loose-sounding wires that can't be tightened to sound crisp.

As for the quality of the new drums, they're excellent, so I doubt there'd be a construction problem.

Give it a little more time, when the drum snaps into place, you'll love it!

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Wires do make a difference as well, and I tend to stay away from the esoteric wires. The $10-12 wires from Gibraltar, Pearl etc sound great to me. If using cord on them, make sure they run through the holes (in the end plate) so the cord is on top of the plate as you look at it. This helps press the wires into the head a bit, as opposed to the other way which results in loose-sounding wires that can't be tightened to sound crisp.
The Dyna-Sonic has that snare frame thing. The wires themselves tension on the frame and the throwoff just seats them against the head.

I had an older one without the frame and it sounded either horribly choked or just rattled like crazy. I didnt like it as is, and I wasnt interested in putting any money into a snare that has a weirdo snare system I might not even like.

P

paradiddle pete

set up the frame so the wires just touch ( Kiss ) the head then tension your wires to suit.. play around with the balance of each .using the strainer knob and the wire tension screw on the frame.....no snare bed, different animal. Steve Maxwell may have a you tube vid on it.. he does I just looked ,don't give up..

Last edited by a moderator:

pgm554

Platinum Member
The Dyna-Sonic has that snare frame thing.
A very tweaky drum from the getgo.
Most people that try and dial in a dyna the first time get frustrated.
When properly tuned ,it is quite a good snare.
It took me several different times to get it to play well.
Buddy played one ,but moved to a Fibes because it was such a pain to keep tuned.

You wanna do a KISS tuning?
Get a collarless bottom snare head and a set of Fat Cat pitched snares.
Dump the cradle and the replacement set up is much easier to manage.

Or ,you can get a wood Powertone at half the price (same shell)and be done with it.

Last edited: