Rogers Drums

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
Does anyone know anything about Rogers Drums? I know Yamaha bought the Rogers brand back recently, but how do Rogers drums stack up against Tama, Pearl, Ludwig, etc. now?

I have a chance to buy a used Rogers kit - 22" bass, 16" floor tom, 12" and 13" mounted toms for $50.00 and I was wondering about the current state of the Rogers brand. These aren't vintage, but probably made between 2000 and 2008. They are missing the bottom rims on the toms and the bottom lugs / tension rods, but I am thinking I can pick these up fairly cheaply and mount them back on the shells. In other words, for a little work and investment, I am wondering if I'll get a decent intermediate kit. Or something along the lines of "First Act". I don't want to waste my $50.00.

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Since you are posting from Dallas/Ft Worth, there is a good chance that the set you are looking at could be one of the Brooks Mays Rogers sets, rather than the Yamaha ones (Yamaha did not take over the Rogers name until 2006). I am not sure about the quality of these sets, or who even made them for Brook Mays.

Anyway, here's kind of the chronology or history of Rogers (the trademark as well as the drum company).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogers_Drums

Here are pictures of the kit. Judging by the mounting system, is this pre or post Yamaha? Anyone know? The seller doesn't know the model or when it was made. As can be seen, the inside of the shells are white...was that common? Is this worth $50.00? Thanks!

Attachments

• 3k33mb3pdZZZZZZZZZ96ib213016ab8cb15cb.jpg
    3k33mb3pdZZZZZZZZZ96ib213016ab8cb15cb.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 650
  • 3kf3m63p3ZZZZZZZZZ96i5df7521c4d821b20.jpg
    3kf3m63p3ZZZZZZZZZ96i5df7521c4d821b20.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 640
  • 3n73k53o7ZZZZZZZZZ96i05b579b59f161d4c.jpg
    3n73k53o7ZZZZZZZZZ96i05b579b59f161d4c.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 623
  • 3n73mf3l1ZZZZZZZZZ96i3ba8d61c81f518fc.jpg
    3n73mf3l1ZZZZZZZZZ96i3ba8d61c81f518fc.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 744
The kit looks like current production. The vintage kits used swivel-o-matic tom mounts and hardware.That said, I'm not a expert on vintage drums. Others may be better informed.

For $50.00 it would make a decent practice kit. What can you buy for fifty bucks these days?

Judging from the pix., that's pre-Yamaha. Look here for current Rogers http://www.rogersdrumsusa.com/default.asp Your $50 set is worth just about that. A great deal, for $50. Think Pulse, Groove Percussion, etc. (beginner/entry level) kit.

Not positive, but it sure looks like it may have an older Yamaha pedal with it.

IF it is an older Yamaha pedal, that alone is probably worth $35.

I'd say for $50 go for it...

Put a full set of GOOD heads on it and you may just be surprised at what they sound like.

Thanks everybody. I may pass on this one. I'm in the market for a decent intermediate kit.

Yes I agree my dad has played Rogers (XP-8's currently) for years, I got excited when Yamaha brought them but what they came up with was really disappointing.

It was the first drum set I played & they really hurt the name IMO.

I've heard through there thinking of improving the drums but I'll believe it when I see it.

Bonzolead

50 bucks? You should have done it.

I mean, I currently play a CB kit on the same level, and with new heads and great tuning skills, it's the prefect kit to just jam on. The only major problem with these kits are the snares, and sometimes you have to beat the crap of them to get them sounding good.

Back