Rocking the first of Jim Riley's tracks from the "Survival Guide For The Modern Drummer" book

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
Rocking the first of Jim Riley's tracks from the "Survival Guide For The Modern Drummer" book

I wanted to do as good a job as I could just laying down the "right notes"
for this pop/rock track, no technique, or licks, or "muso" stuff.

Let me know what you think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKPRpBzWJu4

PS I really recommend Jim Riley's book! The play-alongs are great, well
played and musical. The grooves and Jim's background are really useful,
and I think the book's title sums it up quite accurately.

Re: Rocking the first of Jim Riley's tracks from the "Survival Guide For The Modern Drummer" book

That is an awkward, awkward tempo. Must be really hard not to lean on it and play it just a bit faster.

Very solid. I enjoyed that a lot. Your playing has always been excellent!

Re: Rocking the first of Jim Riley's tracks from the "Survival Guide For The Modern Drummer" book

Super solid. Very nice.

Now off to look up that book. [Because I *Need* another book on my stack. :) ]

Any idea if the play alongs are available from the Kindle version?

I like my books electronic these days.

Great work ! Really not easy to play well,

The fill close to the end says a lot how hard it is to switch rate while keeping an
inner solid pulse. It's sounds easy but it's hard !

Well, you sold another copy.

I bought it - both the book/CD plus the Kindle version.

Thanks for your comments, guys, I appreciate it!

That is an awkward, awkward tempo. Must be really hard not to lean on it and play it just a bit faster.

Very solid. I enjoyed that a lot. Your playing has always been excellent!
Thanks for the kind words, Duncan!! Yes on one hand it's hard not to push indeed, but on the other hand I must be the only drummer that really likes tempos around 75 (which that play-along was) and 85 or so.
frank said:
Super solid. Very nice.

Now off to look up that book. [Because I *Need* another book on my stack. :) ]
Thanks, Frank!! Haha, glad you scored one yourself :). Hope you like it! And no, I don't get anything from Jim Riley, LOL ;)!
calim said:
Great work ! Really not easy to play well,

The fill close to the end says a lot how hard it is to switch rate while keeping an
inner solid pulse. It's sounds easy but it's hard !
Thanks!! Yes, indeed!

Back