Robots

planoranger

Forget about whether humans are the smartest beings in the universe. Just take a look at our dogs (if you have any). If we're so smart...
A. Why do I have to feed my dog? Shouldn't she be taking care of me?
B. My dog lays around the house all day. My wife will walk over and give the dog some pettin'. If I lay around the house all day...she yells at me.

It seems to me that dogs have it all figured out.

wildbill

Platinum Member
Yes and no. I'm not very computer literate past the few programs I know how to use, and google. So I sorta get it but not really. As long as they aren't invading my phone/laptop I guess I really dont care. That's my only concern, my own personal privacy while using the site.
Data mining our printed thoughts for a variety of profiling purposes, including commercial.
I doubt that you need to be concerned about them going into your personal devices for now.
Although I'm sure it would be a simple matter for them to do, and they wouldn't need to go through Drummerworld for it.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Data mining our printed thoughts for a variety of profiling purposes, including commercial.
I doubt that you need to be concerned about them going into your personal devices for now.
Although I'm sure it would be a simple matter for them to do, and they wouldn't need to go through Drummerworld for it.
Okay thank you. That makes sense.

It seems to me that dogs have it all figured out.
Oh they do. I have 5, the day is built around them. If reincarnation is really a thing, I wanna come back as one of my dogs.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Disclaimer: I DO NOT AGREE WITH HIS METHODS
However Ted Kaczynski (the unibomber) was right. Technology will be the downfall of humankind.
More likely to be our selfishness, greed and refusal of facts regarding things like climate, overpopulation and animal agriculture. Ted Kaczynski was a disillusioned homicidal idiot, not an oracle.

johnwesley

Silver Member
More likely to be our selfishness, greed and refusal of facts regarding things like climate, overpopulation and animal agriculture. Ted Kaczynski was a disillusioned homicidal idiot, not an oracle.
He was as you say, however he was right about technology.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
He was as you say, however he was right about technology.
Strange thing to say from a computer while stuck at home because of a non-technical virus threatening the population. Honestly we've got it easy with this one. If we get something with an even higher deathrate that spreads this easily it would take things down a lot faster than some weird theory about robots or technology being the downfall of humans attributed to homicidal idiots as correct. So far it's basically helped us live in unparalleled luxury and knowledge... It's just that we ignore the knowledge to focus on creature comforts and selfishness.

I'm still very curious what we are thinking technology has done to bring about the downfall of humankind though. I guess we've used technology to digitize faux-voting for complete morons in government so there is that. I would still point the finger at the morons before the digital tech, though...

johnwesley

Silver Member
Strange thing to say from a computer while stuck at home because of a non-technical virus threatening the population. Honestly we've got it easy with this one. If we get something with an even higher deathrate that spreads this easily it would take things down a lot faster than some weird theory about robots or technology being the downfall of humans attributed to homicidal idiots as correct. So far it's basically helped us live in unparalleled luxury and knowledge... It's just that we ignore the knowledge to focus on creature comforts and selfishness.

I'm still very curious what we are thinking technology has done to bring about the downfall of humankind though. I guess we've used technology to digitize faux-voting for complete morons in government so there is that. I would still point the finger at the morons before the digital tech, though...
Point away Doc.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
The Unabomber was a mathematician wasn't he? We should all be thankful not a biological scientist-because guns, fertilizer bombs, or even nuclear bombs can't kill in mass like Nature can-and biological scientist have harnessed that power. So like physicists harnessed the power within atoms to produce nuclear power and nuclear bombs, bioscientist can synthesize viruses that are attenuated to make vaccines or enhanced lethality for biowarfare. I worry about that a lot-you don't need stockpiles of small pox you can synthesize it and animate it in a host (in like minutes now), or create a Trojan horse killer virus of your own design using all the pathogenic sequences for every deadly virus, etc. now open to public on PubMed (reminds me of allowing guns in bars WTH?) much like Craig Venter is creating new life forms with novel nucleotides and what not for novel industrial or energy uses-biobatteries. Seems there is always a two-edged sword.

wraub

"I used to think that the brain was the most wonderful organ in my body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
Emo Philips ;)

I don't either. I've always noted two primary problems with that premise. First, we control the definition of "smartest" and can always adjust it to cling to the view that humans are intellectually unsurpassable. Second, everything we hold to be factual could be inaccurate in light of the innerworkings of the universe, which we can never apprehend objectively. I don't want to slip into deconstructionism, a school of thought that brings a halt to almost any discussion, but the possibility remains that everything we believe to be true could be false. It's a sobering contingency.

Another thing: If we are the brightest beings in the universe, I'm scared. Really scared. Everyone else should be too.

Yamaha Rider

I think most internet users eventually become robots. We must be vigilant to maintain our humanity and refuse the simple binary digital world. it's my anal-ogy. Keep analog. First it's a tool then we become the tool. The classic-Man creates monster-then monster realizes it's not the monster man is-so kill the creator. Seems reminiscent of some novels and movie plots LOL.
"I'm afraid I can't let you do that, Grippa..."
(You can call me Hal)

Yamaha Rider

Way off topic, but I'll get this in before the lock. CNN is reporting that a case of bubonic plague has been confirmed in China:

Easy now ...
That cuddly organism has been popping up here and there for a long time I believe. Never really went away.

Yamaha Rider

I find the possibility of life elsewhere in universe highly possible (if can provide a protective magnetic field and possess water-the carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, and phosphate common-and carboniferous meteorites a ready source of building blocks if not. But I don't believe life originated on earth by "abiogenesis" but likely seeded shorty from the small planet that likely crashed into a young earth and formed the moon. I think that planet contained the life seeded to earth. Evidence for life keeps going back further in time, possibly during Hadean period which was hell on earth so not great conditions for life. And molecular clock evidence of genetic code dates it to the earths formation-which predates evidence of life on earth. So the origin of life will remain a mystery. Evolutionary biologist define life from a Last Common Universal Ancestor-which isn't the first life or even address the origin of life-just the last ancestor of alll life of today. The LUCA "is believed" to likely already be a complex organism that eventually gave rise to simpler Archaea and bacteria and then in time more complex eukaryotic cells by gaining the cis-trans Golgi network (that shuffles membranes from plasma membrane to nucleus) and then endosymbiosis of various protobacteria-some photosynthetic ones and an oxidative metabolism one-so forming chloroplast and mitochondria. Crap forgot what I was talking about.
Oh yeah so life possible elsewhere yes and intelligent life-to a degree. To the point of an intelligent life with technology seeking life elsewhere I find the odds of that unlikely. Given the path and time it took with numerous extinction events and climate changes and all the intelligent life forms it took some 4.5 billion years to produce just one seeking life elsewhere with technology. I think Aliens are more likely humans that were genetically altered to be more compatible with space travel- for any really productive space travel to continue humans have to be modified-we just aren't made for long time periods of space travel. All the archaeological evidence seen as alien was our advancements we lost. We already know space travel alters monozygotic twins genetics so obviously even vulnerable at genetic level. Now I think this was likely some time predating written human history-where I think humans may have reached similar pinnacles before but some natural or self-inflicted catastrophe we lost civilizations and digressed-there is evidence of humanity numbers declining to 10,000 or less at least a couple of times. I could see we lose a lot of advancements if the few left were a bunch of dumbasses LOL.Dang I could see that happening again-if the 7.6 billion inhabitants were suddenly randomly eliminated to just 10,000 the odds of us being lost and digressing is highly probable even now. Even if some smart ones survive the dumb ones would eventually kill them because the smart ones have an advantage in competition so if can't beat them with brains beat them with brawn- to death. Explains a lot of written history to.
With you on the unlikeliness of aliens visiting earth - but that's not the unlikeliness of aliens existing.
The mindblowing, staggering number of stars makes almost anything possible - but the equally staggering distances involved makes any contact almost IMpossible.

ps. I find the theory of 'previous, vanished technically-advanced civilisations' - who left zero convincing evidence (even Australopithecus managed that) - more than borderline flaky, personally though.

Yamaha Rider

Disclaimer: I DO NOT AGREE WITH HIS METHODS
However Ted Kaczynski (the unibomber) was right. Technology will be the downfall of humankind.

On a lighter note....Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley wrote a fabulous book called "Frankenstein". If you've not read it I highly recommend you do. It is not about a monster. It is truly a sad story of a person who was different and mankind rejected him because of his difference.
Well that is my literary advice this go round. Later folks.
"Technology will be the downfall of humankind." - you're thinking of
Their sound's as tinny as their outfits.

johnwesley

Silver Member
"Technology will be the downfall of humankind." - you're thinking of

Their sound's as tinny as their outfits.
You can't fool me. I KNEW they weren't real robots. And the music....well that was some of the best written and performed in any forest anywhere. That will probably be the last of it's kind music videos there however since not even the cops put the fire out.....and you know what Smokey Bears say.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
With you on the unlikeliness of aliens visiting earth - but that's not the unlikeliness of aliens existing.
The mindblowing, staggering number of stars makes almost anything possible - but the equally staggering distances involved makes any contact almost IMpossible.

ps. I find the theory of 'previous, vanished technically-advanced civilisations' - who left zero convincing evidence (even Australopithecus managed that) - more than borderline flaky, personally though.
It is a flaky a newer version of we engineered humans that look like aliens for space flight in future for space travel - they look for intelligent life and find none so travel back in time to earth to try and re-engineer back to human. Explains sex probes and alien hybrid bull crap. I was just ripping the alien tv program how the gods were aliens blah blah blah. The sheer number of planets still doesn’t argue for biological carbon based life with technology- then the time constraints. I’ve never believed in aliens or ghost but the last 10!years had some strange experiences in my old house that has me puzzled. But I’m ripping man. One day I’m going to stream/string all my ramblings into the book I never wrote. It will be one paragraph with 14 years of rambling. And then one day some idiot will read sll kinds of bull crap into it like Nostradamus. LOL. I’m going to be famous . I guess you missed I finally discovered the secret to Gretsch’s silver sealer- spoiler alert it involved aliens-LOL

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
If they were intelligent life in universe humanity would be the first thing they destroyed- Earths ultimate super predators are humans. Life flourished for billions of years, with hiccups, then humans in less than 300k turn it into a crap hole.