Robert Plant: 'Black Dog' Was a Trick, a Game

Scott K Fish

Silver Member
Robert Plant: 'Black Dog' Was a Trick, a Game

J.D. Considine: ...I've always found it funny that the heaviest Zeppelin song, Black Dog, was also, and perhaps by no small coincidence, the one that always screwed up the garage bands, that they couldn't get.

Robert Plant: That's right, because you can't play it, yeah. Because it's got a beat that's a count of five over a count of four, and trips and skips and stuff like that. It was our perogative and our joy to take what people thought.... We just wanted to see people try and move to it, and then miss the beat. And then still call it heavy. It was a trick, a game, and well within our capabilities to do. And it just stopped a lot of other people from doing the same thing, from copying it.

Source: Robert Plant: Life in a Lighter Led Zeppelin, by J.D. Considine, Musician December 1983

Click Here to Listen to Black Dog

Scott K Fish Blog: Life Beyond the Cymbals

That song was popular when I was about 12 yr. old. I couldn't play it. So I declared that the drummer on that song didn't know how to play the drums. Boy was I wrong.

I fell in LOVE with that song when it first came out.
I was on a mission to play it note for note.
It's a LOT of fun to play!!!!
I STILL love playing it.
One thing I noticed when listening intently was that Bonham would "click" his sticks quietly on the last count before the rest of the band is to jump in at certain parts.
I always LOVED that! HAH!!!!

That song was popular when I was about 12 yr. old. I couldn't play it. So I declared that the drummer on that song didn't know how to play the drums. Boy was I wrong.

Funny how much you know when you're 12 ;)

Back