robben ford bootleg

rolander

ok i got this robben ford booteg online about 2 or 3 years ago. its a live set with vinnie, roscoe beck and some other guy, cant remember his name. nine tracks. kind of fusiony/extended blues tracks. fourth track is born under a bad sign. anyone else have this and know what the tracklisting is? track 4 is the only one i know. i dont know much of his studio albums but would like to know the track names so i can check out more of his stuff. any info appreciated. cant find this bootleg online anywhere now. cheers.

Aeolian

Platinum Member
Send me a copy and I'll tell you what they were. :)

Been into Robben Ford for a number of years and have been to several clinics with him. Even got to play together with him at one.

If the 4th is a keyboardist, it's probably Jeff Babco or maybe Deron Johnson.

Vinnie and Roscoe are kind of an odd combination unless it's kind of old. There are some things out there with Vinnie, Roscoe and Russ Ferrante from the early 80's. Kind of a Yellowjackets to BlueLine transition.

I did see him with Vinnie post BlueLine but he had either Jimmy Earl on bass (typically) or someone like Myron Dove (normally together with Billy Johnson) or Chris Chaney (normally together with Gary Novak)

rolander

russ ferante is the other guy. doesnt sound too old though. could be nineties, def doesnt sound like something from the eighties, just doesnt sound like where vinnie would've been at....i'l c if i can upload it.

Aeolian

Platinum Member
Sorry, brain fade. That is the line up from Robben's Talk To Your Daughter album, 1988, just after his stint with Miles. It may be a tour boot from that album. Born Under a Bad Sign was on that album. The title track is a blues shuffle with an intro on the bass over the drums.

Other popular tracks from that album were Help The Poor, rearranged from BB King's version to have a Billie Jean bass line. Robben continues to play this song although the arrangement has been though tons of evolutions. Even going latin for awhile. Another popular track is Russ Ferrante's Revelation. An instrumental shuffle with what Robben describes as gospely changes. There is also a very interesting arrangement of Ellington's Ain't Got Nothing But The Blues.

Another song that they played around that time but was never released on a formal album is their arrangement of Take Out Some Insurance. Robben's drummer brother Pat who used to play this with him and their harmonica playing brother Mark, released a version of this on Live In Breminale together with a couple of buddies of mine, Andy Just and John Wedemeyer.

There are two albums out there, Blues Connotation and Discovering the Blues (which has some live boots from the era you're talking about) that Robben gets zero out of. Somehow, someone got rights to these recordings separate from any of Robben's regular recording contracts and released them after he gained some notoriety. Having been burned in this way, he is very sensitive to bootleg recordings. There are a ton of recordings from the time he played with his brothers as Pat recorded everything. There are copies of these around the bay area, but within a small musical community around that band and era. Out of respect for Robben, nobody that has them will let them get reproduced although if you know somebody, you might get to hear a few.

One thread you'll notice thoughout Robben's career is his great sense of time and groove. And that he typically has great drummers on his records. In addition to Vinnie, the BlueLine had Tom Brechtlein, who shared the early Chick Corea Electrik Band chair with Weckl. On several shuffles Tom does this great thing where he's playing a conventional double shuffle but then splashing the hat on a backwards/flat tire shuffle. Great groove. The Tiger Walk album is more fusion than blues and has Steve Jordan. Jing Chi is pure fusion and has Vinnie together with Jimmy Haslip from Robben's Yellowjacket band. He also has Charlie Drayton on a couple of songs from Truth along with Vinnie on the rest. I've seen several tours with Hillary Jones and most of the recent tours have had Toss Panos who is one of my favorite groove drummers along with Larry Carlton's son Travis on bass.

Kind of hard to tell I'm sort of a Robben Ford freak ;-D