Robbed

That happened on Mothers day 2011, it's been 5 years already. There's something much more personal and disturbing about having your house robbed. It's definitely way worse. And I was gigging my drums, so I didn't lose them. I did get my spare stuff stolen, along with a crap ton of tools. I lost a brass Sensitone snare drum, a DW pedal, and bag of cords in addition to my tools. They left me my ladders that were on my roof. I got the empty van back the next morning, parked in a known crackhead neighborhood with a broken ignition, and a broken door lock. Two weeks later my trans took a dump at rush hour on a busy road, while I was first in line at a traffic light. After a lot of horns honking, I got out and started pushing, and I got help from the motorists behind me. It was definitely because the perps beat the hell out of my trans during the theft. The kicker is, I believe the police facilitated this theft. There's a lot more to the story about why I believe that, but this thread isn't about that.

That was 5 ****ing years? What the hell? I need to slow down my life a bit.

That really blows. Maybe ask some of the neighbors if they saw anything?

You could think about it kind of like moving. When I had to move, I had to think about insuring things vs. just trying to pack them well. It turns out that the things that I valued had little in the way of insuring. A hand built dulcimer for example. If it were a signed signature edition of a guitar it would have made sense to insure, but since it wasn't all that valuable well, than just to me because I built it, makes no sense to insure.

My point is that what thieves go after to make a quick buck, generally are sort of commodity items that are easily replaceable, and probably of little sentimental value.

Man, that sucks bro.

I remember when my uncle lost his nice Yammy set. He left it in his VW Bus overnight at his apartment complex. It was after a gig, and he was going to bring the drums into his place in the AM. He had to replace them with some Export drums.

I have lost a few drum sets in my day. It sucks bro.

If you killed your thief we would have a drink and not speak of it ever.
—And I would bring you a gift of a drum.

So I was robbed for the first time. Some guy broke into my house while I was in the city and made off with pretty much everything. Most of the stuff taken was electronics but the bastard also took my Zildjian A cymbal set and my brand-new, never-played Zildjian L80 cymbals. Thankfully he was too lazy to take my case full of Bosphorus cymbals and my drumset.

But I just can't make myself setup the drums and cymbals. I feel dirty touching them. I'm obsessed with finding the thief but it seems impossible. The cops are useless, there are no usable fingerprints or security footage and no witnesses. The best bet I have is occasionally checking the pawn shops and online sales and hoping I'll catch the guy.

I know musicians are frequently the victims of theft. How do you get over this? I feel like I can't move on. All I can do is reprimand myself for not having more security (which I'm now fixing), not locking up the important stuff, etc. I know that doesn't accomplish anything but I just don't know how to say "oh well, all that stuff's gone, bad luck!" and whistle and move on.

Last summer 8/13/15 our house was burglarized. Although they didn't steal any musical gear they still got about 10 g's worth of stuff mostly my wife's jewelry and our big screen. It has been difficult to deal with but due to karma & the hard work of the Waukesha & Washington County Sheriff's Dept mixed with a lucky break they caught the scum bags and they are going to trial for more than 30 armed burglaries.

6/13/16 we will be at the sub human's hearing on our case.

We had a home security system installed earlier this year and it has given us comfort but the thought of them in our house still haunts us. I hope they find out who did this to you and bring them to justice. I want to have these a hole's sent to Monkey Island covered in peanut butter and watch it on pay preview and only then will I have complete closure.

Last summer 8/13/15 our house was burglarized. Although they didn't steal any musical gear they still got about 10 g's worth of stuff mostly my wife's jewelry and our big screen. It has been difficult to deal with but due to karma & the hard work of the Waukesha & Washington County Sheriff's Dept mixed with a lucky break they caught the scum bags and they are going to trial for more than 30 armed burglaries.

6/13/16 we will be at the sub human's hearing on our case.

We had a home security system installed earlier this year and it has given us comfort but the thought of them in our house still haunts us. I hope they find out who did this to you and bring them to justice. I want to have these a hole's sent to Monkey Island covered in peanut butter and watch it on pay preview and only then will I have complete closure.

It really is weird, it's like I've joined a sad fraternity. Seems lots of people have been robbed.

I'm trying to look at the positives, like the fact that they didn't take my drums or Bosphorus cymbals. And I even found my stick bag, which I thought they'd taken.

We put in an electric fence on top of the back three walls and sealed all the open areas of our front wall. Right now a thief would need a 4-meter ladder just to get over the front, and without welding tools they'd be unable to open the gate again to get stuff out. I'm looking into adding one or two security cameras. But I notice that each night if we're out, as the sun goes down I get really antsy and I want to get back to the house.

But yeah the only thing that would really make me happy would be catching the guys. It's like that movie "The Vanishing", as much as I want my stuff back I also want to know who it is and how they got in, and see them get punished. Jail here is pretty rough.

On the plus side I did set up my drums and play them, and they're loud as cannons out here in the country in a mostly empty house. :p I'm going to have to look into making a soundproof room.

That sucks to hear. Having been robbed more than once I understand feeling like crap about it. What I hated most about it was/is the fact that someone got one over on me and I'll never know who.

*burgled.

I know I come off like a troll, but if you weren't there, you were burgled, not robbed.

How do I know? I was burgled twice in the span of six months. The asshat took all our electronics. Computers, tablets, flat screen TV, entertainment systems, speakers, wireless routers, and an extensive library of video games (belonging to my sons). Twice. Yes, I purchased all new gear only to have it stolen again.

Talk about feeling burned.

Then my insurance company accuses me of fraud the second time it happened and I had to produce receipts and photos of everything. And the cops recovered a laptop and PS4, so the insurance company did not reimburse use for that, even though the items were to be used as evidence for a court case that would last over a year.

Yup. They caught the guy. With over $250,000 worth of electronics in his apartment. He's currently doing 5–7 years in a state penitentiary.

Even though they caught the guy, it still sucks.

Edit: the numbnut did not steal any drums, cymbals, pro French horn ($3500) or pro trombone ($2500). Otherwise I'd have probably vaped my brain into a coma.

*burgled.

I know I come off like a troll, but if you weren't there, you were burgled, not robbed.

Don't worry you don't come off like a troll.. you come off like an asshole...

P.S. sorry mods.. but that was just a wtf response to someone having something like this happen to them..

And sorry for that happening to you OP...

Back