Rob Knopper's guide to recording yourself for an audition

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
"the entire reason for recording is to eliminate the multitasking that is innate in the traditional practice workflow. if you are practicing, just you and your instrument, you’re always going to be doing the actions of playing and listening at the same time.

it’s just like texting and driving. if you do both at the same time, you can’t do either one as well."

Those 4 sentences speak volumes.

That was a great article. I don't ever see myself in that situation, but still very useful.

Teachers should have audition videos too. That would make it easier for potential students to see if a teacher is going to give them what they are looking for.

Ekajimmy

"the entire reason for recording is to eliminate the multitasking that is innate in the traditional practice workflow. if you are practicing, just you and your instrument, you’re always going to be doing the actions of playing and listening at the same time.

it’s just like texting and driving. if you do both at the same time, you can’t do either one as well."

Those 4 sentences speak volumes.

That was a great article. I don't ever see myself in that situation, but still very useful.

Teachers should have audition videos too. That would make it easier for potential students to see if a teacher is going to give them what they are looking for.
+1

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
You can be a good teacher without being a great producer of what your teaching. In grad school we all had to do research for a dissertation but there was two paths because some were interested in purely research and others purely teaching. Teaching faculty was a mix of teaching only and teaching/research faculty. All the teaching faculty were really good but the researchers were a mixed bag of some terrible teaching and others super excellent. I started in Physiology Endocrinology dept but shifted to Cell Bio and Anatomy-so I had to take "gross" anatomy (I wasn't fond of that part). One of the my friends in Physio department was an excellent researcher -renal stuff. And he taught that section for Physio course. He worked on it and tried his best-but it was just awful made tons of students just more confused-renal stuff isn't easy. My PhD mentor in Cell Bio/Anatomy headed up the Histology section and he was just a super teacher and scientist-in fact he left to become Chancellor of Research at Univ of Nebraska. I was more interested in research than teaching, and after my Mr. Mom hiatus I went back teaching (I was terrible-I was use to presenting to vascular biologist not students)-though with lots of work and practice I dramatically improved-when I left last job lots of students came by to thank me and wish me well-I was touched. Anyways I digress again. My point is you can be a great teacher without being a great drummer and the converse is true being a great drummer doesn't mean you will be a great teacher-but you can be both too. You can teach little kids to do complex thing just showing them-they don't have to read or understand it just emulate it. But to gain a full understanding and appreciation you need to study whatever it is you're interested is my belief.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
That is so true. When I went back to school, I had to take an algebra refresher course. The instructor was a high school math teacher. She was brilliant. Everything was written out step by step, and she could break down and explain all of it so anyone could understand it. Having been away from school for 17 years, I needed the class and her teaching made it so easy.

Then I took college algebra. The teacher was like a mathematical genius, but couldn't explain it at all. Any time I got stuck/confused, I would refer back to my refresher course notes (and sometimes teacher) to be able to make any sense of it.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
My calculus prof was that way-brilliant but couldn't teach-I've always wanted to take it over. I'd go to his office to ask a question and he would just look at me and say "Mickey Mouse Mr. Beall and then once again explain it in terms I never understood." I'd just stare back are you talking about me or the mathematics?? All I know is calculus somehow has a lot to do with Mickey Mouse or I remind him of Mickey LOL.