RIP Paiste 2002 22" crash...

Road Bull

Silver Member
OK. I got to play it today with the band. It fits in just fine. I practice with shooting muffs on, so I can take them on and off easily. With the muffs on, it sounded ever so thick (a bit like hitting a ride). I was a little concerned, so I had our guitarist record some stuff to see how it sounded, but before I could just listen to play back, I took off the muffs and jammed a bit with them off. It sounds great, even hitting it on the lighter side of things. The muffs just kill some of the high end frequencies so it was coming off sounding a bit heavy metallic. But once I heard how it sounds at normal volume, I have no worries. I guess when it comes down to it, you gotta just trust your ears.

When I was hitting it in the store, I had a bit of a headache and was comparing a few cymbals until my ears started getting tired. But the true test of a new cymbal is when you have it on the kit, and playing with a band. If it still sounds good there, you are golden. I just forgot how much frequencies that the muffs kill.

brady

Platinum Member
Word. It is hard to go back to Zildjian after you have heard the perfect bell of a 2002 24" ride.
I still think that Zildjian has some gold, but it is touch and go as far as consistency.
Ain't that the truth!!

I recently scored a full set of Giant Beats. They're no 2002's but they are perfect for what I play. First, I've never played a Paiste that I didn't like. But when I recorded the GB's against my other cymbals (all Z's) there was no going back to Zildjian. You're right, they all sounded so gongy compared to the Paiste sweet glassiness, even my Sweet Ride, which was the most "tolerable", sounded like a pile of crap. :) Actually, the 18" K crash wasn't too bad either but for the most part I didn't particularly like the Zildjian tone after jamming on the Paistes.

Enjoy that 2002 beast!

Road Bull

Silver Member
Ain't that the truth!!

I recently scored a full set of Giant Beats. They're no 2002's but they are perfect for what I play. First, I've never played a Paiste that I didn't like. But when I recorded the GB's against my other cymbals (all Z's) there was no going back to Zildjian. You're right, they all sounded so gongy compared to the Paiste sweet glassiness, even my Sweet Ride, which was the most "tolerable", sounded like a pile of crap. :) Actually, the 18" K crash wasn't too bad either but for the most part I didn't particularly like the Zildjian tone after jamming on the Paistes.

Enjoy that 2002 beast!
Thanks brother!

Cymbals are such a subjective thing, but you know what's right when you find the ones that speak to you. I have a few Zildjians that I like, but for what I am doing, the Paistes work very well. They have trimmed it back a bit, but they are one of the manufacturers who have a fair amount of larger cymbals to choose from. I love both Sound Edge and New Beat hi-hats. Paiste is great at offering a consistent cymbal though. But if I was looking for a Zildjian ride, I would prefer a lot of the same so I could find a favorite among the bunch because they will all be different. It's not the end of the world or anything, it just requires patience and a bit of luck.

SpareRib

I just had to bump this thread. I recently discovered three cracks running in the lathes on my 20" A thin crash. I noticed it had lost sustain and checked it out and there they were... cracks. Bought it last February. Ugh.

But, I've acquired a couple 18" Giant Beats to go with my 24" 2oo2 ride and my 21" A Custom anniversary ride (used as a crash).

Any body seen those new 2oo2 Black label Big Beats? I can't wait to try those out!

Road Bull

Silver Member
As the Big Lebowski would say, "That's a bummer man."

Yeah, I think those new Big Beats look awesome. However, I will stay far away from those things. It's like the 602 line. They sound awesome, just too expensive for my tastes.

I think I will gravitate back to Zildjian pretty soon. I love these 2002s, but they are killing me when I kill them.

SpareRib

The prices are on the high side. But the 2002s sound like the cymbals I hear in my mind. I might try some A and A Custom Zildjians and AA or AAX Sabians. The HH and HHX lines are moving into the pricier side. They sound good, though.

Like you, I play with a loud guitarist who wants me to play loud and solid behind him and being to find pies that blend in well with his tone becomes an issue. I don't want to cut through as much as blend into the sound scape or sit in the mix in between his sound/tone.

Road Bull

Silver Member
I agree about the 2002 sound. I
They are great sounding cymbals. I am sure they would last a lot longer if I played other styles of music. I do understand design limitations. This is why I play the larger pies to get the volume. I have found that rides makes great crashes. Of course, this isn't for everyone. But you don't have to put as much energy into your cymbals to get a lot of volume. Think old school Dale Crover.

If I switch, I will be going back to Zildjian. Sabian just doesn't seem to offer much in the way of larger cymbals, save a handful of options. And the ones they offer are not for me.

Last edited:
G

Ghostnote

I've broken 2002's in the past, but since I started using really large sizes, I haven't broken any. I changed my technique a bit so I wasn't hitting through everything so much. Also, I find I don't want to hit them as hard because there is already so much sound available because of the large size that most times I end up giving them just a medium glancing blow and they still project and sound good in the mix. Currently I'm playing:

18" 2002 thin crash over 18 " Rude Wild Crash as hats
24" 2002 big ride as a crash
24" 2002 ride
22" 2002 crash
20" 2002 novo china

If you really want to wail on everything with everything you've got, like I used to do when I was younger, then you should really be playing medium to heavy B20 cymbals and leave the B8 stuff alone or it will get expensive.