RIP joe Porcaro

NouveauCliche

didnt know he made sticks, are you thinking of joe calato of regal tip?
Nope - he made his "Diamond Tip" sticks for a long time and I would buy them directly from him. I think he started in like 1999ish - he made a "diamond tip" 7A, 5A and a 5B.

"The exclusive diamond shaped tip is designed to provide increased articulation, greater technical facility and a cleaner, brighter sound from the drums, cymbals and hi-hats in any playing situation. A great choice for drum set players as well as studio and orchestral percussionists."

I really loved how it sounded on cymbals and drums - clean and crisp but not artificial like nylon tips...really nice stick.

Around 2005 - he sold the IP to Vic Firth - and the tip was the same...but the general feel of the stick was totally different. Still a really good stick that you can buy today:

Good stick - love the tip - but it didn't feel the same.

C.M. Jones

Charlie Daniels and Porcaro on the same day, then. Both leave extraordinary legacies. I hope they continue to make timeless music on instruments that never need tuning in the realm beyond.

drumnut87

Nope - he made his "Diamond Tip" sticks for a long time and I would buy them directly from him. I think he started in like 1999ish - he made a "diamond tip" 7A, 5A and a 5B.

"The exclusive diamond shaped tip is designed to provide increased articulation, greater technical facility and a cleaner, brighter sound from the drums, cymbals and hi-hats in any playing situation. A great choice for drum set players as well as studio and orchestral percussionists."

I really loved how it sounded on cymbals and drums - clean and crisp but not artificial like nylon tips...really nice stick.

Around 2005 - he sold the IP to Vic Firth - and the tip was the same...but the general feel of the stick was totally different. Still a really good stick that you can buy today:

Good stick - love the tip - but it didn't feel the same.
i never knew that! learn something every day, thanks!! :)

newoldie

Silver Member
Sorry to hear. Love watching his trio videos, readily available on YT.
Plus, he's a lefty,--so I can always pick up some tips from watching his technique. :geek:

wraub

As we age, cultural figures from our era, the ones who've mattered to us, age as well. We've always heard of them, so, to us, their reported death seems tragic and rapid, but also an indicator of our own mortality, as they were our "peers', culturally.

In 40 years, our youth will be mourning Miley Cyrus and Zac Efron in the same way.
It is the sad reality of generational fame, imo... Only your heroes matter when they're lost.

Crazy. What's going on with this rapid succession of death? The stars must be in fatal alignment.