RIP George Duke

aydee

Platinum Member

apologies for pre-empting the Mayor who usually tolls this bell but what a loss..

The funkmiester is gone.

..the Supremes, Zappa, Miles,Sonny Rollins, Stanley Clarke, Herbie's Headhunters, Dexter Gordon.. the list goes on...

only 67..

Had a great evening with him once when we were at a party where neither of us knew anybody else. ...I got to ask him a million uncomfortable questions.

A gentle man with twinkley eyes, and a great sense of humor.

Last edited:
Sad news. The stuff he made with Stanley Clarke in the early 80s was the classiest stuff on pop radio ("Sweet Baby" being a great Top 40 song).

It is with regret that this would be my first post, but I have to express my sadness in George Duke's passing.

I also loved his work with Stanley Clarke - an amazing combination. Listen to his smooth voice on "Touch and Go"...

I'm gonna break out my LP's, whiskey, and raise a glass.

I listened to him a bunch in the 80's. What a complete musician he was.

Well crap.

Interesting story about the time you hung out with him Abe. You seem to have had a lot of those kinds of experiences, which is really cool.

Anyway, sad news indeed. Way too freakin' young.

Noooooooo!

What a great musician and great loss.

"She took George's watch like they always do." "It was a Timex too..."

Interesting story about the time you hung out with him Abe. You seem to have had a lot of those kinds of experiences, which is really cool.

Hey J!

Fringe benefits of growing up in Greenwich Village back when it was alive and well, and the nature of my biz these days.
This was an after party for a new corporate sponsor doing an Al Jarraeu gig. Al ditched George last minute, and I didn't really know the new suits that well, so we killed some bourbon together... : )

Cosmik Debris is maybe as good as outro as any https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp6LT2MdaPI

Jean Luc Ponty wasn't half bad, aye Grea?

Last edited:
Jean Luc Ponty wasn't half bad, aye Grea?

Long time fan, Abe. My fave was his ECM album with Cantaloupe and King Kong. Pretty sure George was playing with him on that album. There was a brilliant YT vid with Jean Luc, Stanley Clarke (another long term George collaborator) and Al diMeola.

Back