RIP Chick Corea

My dad and I had made a pact that we were going to go see him next time he toured. Guess that won't be happening. I thought he was looking pretty healthy these last few years, and he'd been doing online masterclasses pretty much every day. It's hard to wrap my head around.

Thank you for the music, Chick.

A lot of the big ones leaving now regardless of the pandemic.

I've been lucky enough to see him a few times and went to a small reserved clinic once, as well. He seemed very nice.

Everyone knows and has played this one. Bon voyage, Sir.

I've had the distinct pleasure of attending Chick's performances here in Portland, OR and in Buffalo, NY. A true inspiration and will be sorely missed.

"I can see the red tail lights, headin' for Spain" - Elton John's Daniel

RIP Chick

Even as someone who would have considered himself a fan of Chick Corea since the mid-80s, this one really hurts, worse than I might have expected.

No...just ...NO

I swear, if we lose another institution of a person in short order I swear...I'M gonna lose it!

My heart goes out to all of the great musicians given a chance by this legend.

Corea, who was 79, had only recently been diagnosed with the disease, Cancer, before he died on Tuesday.

"He was a beloved husband, father and grandfather, and a great mentor and friend to so many," Corea's family said in a statement posted on Facebook. "Through his body of work and the decades he spent touring the world, he touched and inspired the lives of millions."

And a small world. My brother-in-law knew him as a customer, when he sold Mercedes, and my sister wrote his insurance policy. They are both a little upset tonight.

A true legend. His music and legacy will live on, but he will be sadly missed.

If there's a jazz/fusion heaven well you know they've got a hell of a band. He was truly gifted but can you imagine what he sounds like now!?..HEAVENLY would be an understatement.

this shyt has to stop!!!!

so sad

This one definitely hit me in the gut. I grew up listening to the fusion of the mid to late 70's. Romantic Warrior is one of my all time favorite albums. I've had the pleasure to see him a number of times. Caught his 60th Birthday part at Lincoln Center when he played a duet with Dave Holland, had Vinnie playing with him in the Akoustic Band and Weckl playing in the Elektric Band. Saw RTF 3 or 4 times. And was able to see him not too long ago when he played at the Blue Note with Gadd. And luckily I took my 16 year old son with me. I had told him that the next time RTF tours we are going. Now he won't be able to see that. There will never be anyone like Chick again. His playing took me to places I never could have dreamed. Cancer sucks. RIP Chick Corea. You will be very very missed.

Just heard about Chick Corea's passing. Another painful loss. His music brought tremendous joy to me over the last few decades.

I was fortunate to not only see him play with his Elektric Band back in the early 90's, but I also happened to meet him in passing. My college marching band (James Madison University -- I was in snareline) was the host band for a national high school competition at the Indianapolis Hoosier Dome. We had been given full access to the facilities. One day during the competition, Chick Corea was scheduled to play a concert within the venue and I happened to run into him in one of the Dome's tunnels. He was walking with John Patitucci. Both were very friendly and down to earth. What a thrill! Later that night his band put on an amazing concert.

Anyone looking for a Chick Corea recommendation, checkout The Ultimate Adventure. Beautiful music. Masterful. Has both Steve Gadd and Vinnie Colaiuta on drums. I really love that album.

Back