Ringo's Hi Hats on Ed Sullivan

Shedboyxx

Silver Member
So there's a Beatles thread in General Discussion with folks mixing it up about whether the Beatles were great or not.

That's not what this thread is about.

Simple gear question for those that watched or know the answer.

To me it looked like he had 16 inch hi hats or at least a much bigger size than usual.

Other shots I've seen look pretty standard 14 inch size wise.

Anyone know this or observe this"

It's the first time I've noticed it and I'm sure I've seen this footage as I'm.....mature. Yeah that's it...mature. :)

Jim

Ethan01

They're 14", they look big cause his kit had 12/14/20 sizes.

BTW, did you watch the CBS special? Am I the only one who noticed his drums were not mic'ed up when he played them?

KirbyM

I have noticed many times that Ringo's hi-hats look bigger than 14". It may very well be an illusion as Ethan pointed out. Smaller drums tend to make the cymbals look larger. Camera angles, focal lengths, light reflection, and distance also affect how an object looks in a photograph.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I'm so used to seeing his I didn't pay attention but I did notice Abes large cymbals.
16 hats, 24 ride 22 and 24 crashes. Those are big.

opentune

Platinum Member
What are Ringos' sizes in the 60's. 14 hats and two 20 inch cymbals?...or smaller?

the hats looked 15 to me.

I had read that they put him in front of 12-14-20 kit live, to make him appear taller, instead of the 13-16-22 that he woudl have played in studio. True?

rmandelbaum

Platinum Member
With Abe, everything is huge, especially the pocket.
Didnt I see somewhere that Steve Jordon has one of the original Ringo kits?

Dhango

What are Ringos' sizes in the 60's. 14 hats and two 20 inch cymbals?...or smaller?

the hats looked 15 to me.

I had read that they put him in front of 12-14-20 kit live, to make him appear taller, instead of the 13-16-22 that he woudl have played in studio. True?
No, not true. His first two Ludwig Kits, purchased in May/1963 and February/1964 were Downbeat models, 12x8, 14x14 and 20x14. The next Ludwig kits, purchased in May/1964(his main kit until late '68) and August/1965 were Super Classic models, 13x9, 16x16 and 22x14.
And apparently, yes, he selected the Downbeat kit because, being a small guy he looked bigger in that kit size.
Ah, his hats were 14" Zildjian A's. Compare them side-by-side with his 12" or 13" toms and you'll see. And he played a 18" crash(a 20" in the last 2 years) and a 20"ride, with or without rivets. And for the last two albums, he added a 16" crash.