Rimshots on every snare hit

JimmyM

Gold Member
Or....you could use threads to understand things you currently don't get.
Rimshots are a sound. They are the typical drum sound of funk and modern popular music.
back in the 70's with disco, The Eagles and Fleetwood Mac, the fat, dead, centre hit was THE SOUND.
If two drummers go for a modern rock gig, one plays centre hits the other rimshots, the latter will probably get the gig. If the same two drummers audition for a 70's AOR cover band, the latter shouldn't get the gig, unless he/she understands centre hits are more appropriate than rimshots.
Ideally you should be good at both strokes and use them from song to song where appropriate.
I think I'd rather tell guys with huge track records of excellence like you, Mr. Gregger whom I've just met online, and Bermuda how to do your jobs :D

No, there's enough of that these days on the internet. I once took trumpet lessons when I was a teenager who thought he had a chance in hell of ever being good on the trumpet, and my teacher showed me how I should be working the valves with fingertips and a light touch instead of wrapping my hand around them like a lot of players do. In between the first and second lesson, I saw Maynard Ferguson on TV wrapping his hand around the valves and told the teacher. He deadpans, "And when you get better than Maynard Ferguson, you can tell him that. Right now you need every advantage you can get."

Boom lowered.

jimb

Watched Doobie Bro's last night on TV. Drummer playing trad grip and don't think he was hitting the rim....sounded very sharp and musical.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Platinum Member
After trying to tune my 10" walnut tom to sound like a timbale and not being satisfied, I decided I need a real timbale on my set.

yeah, I rarely use this effect, and use my 8" tom to do it

Another reason I use the rimshot a lot is because it takes me WAY less effort to achieve the exact volume I need. It's energy conservation. How many backbeats do I do in a night? A thousand at least? Center strikes cost me more energy. I am of the mindset that the more relaxed I can be, the less effort I have to expend, the smoother my drumming comes off

this is true for me as well! I can generate more noise with a wrist motivated rim shot, than an arm/bicep motivated middle head stroke...

JimmyM

Gold Member
yeah, I rarely use this effect, and use my 8" tom to do it

this is true for me as well! I can generate more noise with a wrist motivated rim shot, than an arm/bicep motivated middle head stroke...
I'm finding that other than that rimshot crack, for all intents and purposes I can blow people out of the room using center hits with the safe technique that Jim Chapin said he showed Kenny Aronoff in a vid I saw.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Platinum Member
I think I'd rather tell guys with huge track records of excellence like you, Mr. Gregger whom I've just met online, and Bermuda how to do your jobs :D

No, there's enough of that these days on the internet. I once took trumpet lessons when I was a teenager who thought he had a chance in hell of ever being good on the trumpet, and my teacher showed me how I should be working the valves with fingertips and a light touch instead of wrapping my hand around them like a lot of players do. In between the first and second lesson, I saw Maynard Ferguson on TV wrapping his hand around the valves and told the teacher. He deadpans, "And when you get better than Maynard Ferguson, you can tell him that. Right now you need every advantage you can get."

Boom lowered.

in these situations, my dad used to tell me to "Shut up and listen" best advice I ever got!!

I don’t know how many of you are gigging drummers with a groove oriented band that makes people want to dance but there is a difference, a huge difference when it comes to driving a band with a full dance floor..I also can play without rimshots but the bands that hire me want that sound, they love the groove that paves the way for them to make music over. I think it also helps to develop better time because it’s much more consistent. Been gigging with many different types of bands since the mid 80’s and no one has complained yet.

s1212z

just noticed they are all Yamaha endorsers w/ diecast.
Come to think of it, the Birch Absolute w/ alum diecast hoops had one of the best rim-shot tom sound I've encountered, really made going back to triple flanged sound pretty flat and they had a nice pop without choking like a heavier hoop. And if think about it, I can hear is Weckl's or Tony Williams' playing, again with the heavier hoop. You are also rewarded if tuning medium or above with a nice bell-like tom accent. I've been tempted just to have a diecast top on the toms for this, it just makes for more dynamic playing.

JimmyM

Gold Member
@Chris Whitten , I just tried doing the main riff in What I Am with rimshots, then watched that vid of you explaining What I Am again just to make sure, and holy cow, you're hitting rimshots! And you're not missing them or even hitting uneven sounds. I can barely make it thru 4 bars with no rims. Do you have any vids where you're not hitting rimshots? Why you use them might be a good topic for a vid if you're up to it, huh? Feel free to mention me in it...last name's Miller :D

Geez, there is so much work to playing drums...and that's just before you can even play them! Bass it's like, "Here's a bass, here's an amp, play one note at a time and don't drop the beat." What did I do to myself???

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Platinum Member
@Chris Whitten , I just tried doing the main riff in What I Am with rimshots, then watched that vid of you explaining What I Am again just to make sure, and holy cow, you're hitting rimshots! And you're not missing them or even hitting uneven sounds. I can barely make it thru 4 bars with no rims. Do you have any vids where you're not hitting rimshots? Why you use them might be a good topic for a vid if you're up to it, huh? Feel free to mention me in it...last name's Miller :D

Geez, there is so much work to playing drums...and that's just before you can even play them! Bass it's like, "Here's a bass, here's an amp, play one note at a time and don't drop the beat." What did I do to myself???

nah...there is waaayyyy more to bass than that

as you already know!

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I'm finding I like rimshots on the train beat. While I continue to play a horrible train beat, I feel the rim fits the clackity of a train. As I play it more this may change. As I play it more, hopefully it will clean itself up too.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Platinum Member
I'm finding I like rimshots on the train beat. While I continue to play a horrible train beat, I feel the rim fits the clackity of a train. As I play it more this may change. As I play it more, hopefully it will clean itself up too.

yep, and I always use Hot Rods on my train beats for even more clickety clack