RIMS Mounts

• Thread starter Deleted member 526375
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 526375

Thoughts from a user:

I’d been a religious Gauger RIMS mount user for 30 years until just recently. After a million gigs (including tech work) where I had to strangle beautiful sounding drums to death to satisfy the FOH guy, I decided I was done with sustain and resonance forever. Just gonna use whatever mount the drum has, and isolation be damned!

Worked well for me for a few months, as I owned drums that weren’t severely affected by not having RIMS mounts. No harm, no foul. What I don’t know won’t hurt me, right?

Fast forward to now, and I just picked up an 80’s Yamaha Tour Custom in great sizes and pretty much the perfect set. The mounted tom, though, will only say, “doink!”. Tried every fix I could think of in my 40 years of drumming and nothing helped. Knew immediately that I needed me some Gauger.

Sure enough, the second I got the Gauger RIMS installed, the Tour Custom tom became what it was meant to be. I think I’m happier strangling an overly-resonant tom than I am trying to find resonance in an overly-dead tom. As always, your mileage may vary.

0981B672-C3B0-49B1-BB4F-E6F1CBBB6BA6.jpeg

Thoughts from a user:

I’d been a religious Gauger RIMS mount user for 30 years until just recently. After a million gigs (including tech work) where I had to strangle beautiful sounding drums to death to satisfy the FOH guy, I decided I was done with sustain and resonance forever. Just gonna use whatever mount the drum has, and isolation be damned!

Worked well for me for a few months, as I owned drums that weren’t severely affected by not having RIMS mounts. No harm, no foul. What I don’t know won’t hurt me, right?

Fast forward to now, and I just picked up an 80’s Yamaha Tour Custom in great sizes and pretty much the perfect set. The mounted tom, though, will only say, “doink!”. Tried every fix I could think of in my 40 years of drumming and nothing helped. Knew immediately that I needed me some Gauger.

Sure enough, the second I got the Gauger RIMS installed, the Tour Custom tom became what it was meant to be. I think I’m happier strangling an overly-resonant tom than I am trying to find resonance in an overly-dead tom. As always, your mileage may vary.

View attachment 94301

Love the hot red finish, Yamaha please bring it back!

if a soundguy is telling you to muffle the drum because they cant deal with the sustain, tell them to invest in a gate/limiter for their rig, when ive done sound for bands ive never told any of the musos to alter their instruments' tone because i couldnt handle it.

i agree with rims mounts, specially on sustain-less drums. i could do with some for my 80s/90s tama rockstar, but when one mount costs more than the kit cost me, i'll jsut deal with the toneless thump xD

Blasphemer!

Kidding. A very mature (read: beaten) approach

Take this as humor please. I dig your posts.

I've used RIMS as needed, but never insist on them. If a drum has a nice sustain without it - and most of mine do - then I leave them alone.

A striking finish -- at once red but not quite red.

Applause for doing what it takes to get the sound you want. Fortunately, the toms I've owned have always been to my liking in a snare stand. If I came across a tom that wasn't, I'd probably part with it before experimenting with alternate mounts. That sounds like a hardware-first approach, which might not make much sense, but I've been playing toms in snare stands so long that I can't imagine departing from that standard at this point.

Enjoy the new kit!

Thoughts from a user:

View attachment 94301
[/QUOTE
Forgive my higgerance - but these mount off the tension rods?
Smart looking btw - and peachy drums: look fresh out of the box. Did you go back and pick em up with your special DeLorean?

Thanks for the kind words everyone! To answer a few questions, this finish isn’t actually Hot Red but is called Red Wood. It’s a somewhat opaque lacquer finish that allows the grain of the wood to show through. In certain lights it has an almost burnt orange appearance.

I’m very familiar with Yamaha drums and all the normal tricks associated with getting them to sound good on the stock mounts. Tried everywhere on the hex arm, as well as tightening the hex bolts to tighten up against the ball. This was more about getting the mounted tom in line with the floor tom. I wanted a similar sustain and resonance from both drums, and I needed the RIMS to do it with this particular tom.

The RIMS mounts attach at 3 tension rods. It suspends the drum at two tension rods 180 degrees apart (the third one adds a bit of stability). The normal tom mount attaches to the RIMS mounting plate, which absorbs the stress of the mount rather than the shell.

if a soundguy is telling you to muffle the drum because they cant deal with the sustain, tell them to invest in a gate/limiter for their rig, when ive done sound for bands ive never told any of the musos to alter their instruments' tone because i couldnt handle it.

i agree with rims mounts, specially on sustain-less drums. i could do with some for my 80s/90s tama rockstar, but when one mount costs more than the kit cost me, i'll jsut deal with the toneless thump xD

I theory I agree with you. In my little corner of the world, the reality is what it is.

This 12” RIMS mount I got was $84.50 shipped. Doesn’t seem a horrible price for the improvement in sound I’m getting.

I theory I agree with you. In my little corner of the world, the reality is what it is.

This 12” RIMS mount I got was $84.50 shipped. Doesn’t seem a horrible price for the improvement in sound I’m getting.

exactly. is what it is :) and i got my tama kit for less than $40 and some spare bits i had (the 80s/90s one with 12x11 and 13x12 power toms) so there isnt much point in buying something expensive for it. howeer i am going to use some rims mounts on my 70s premier kit, as i want it to sing a bit more :)

Well that’s a great deal on the Tama set!

Kinda funny with the sound thing here in Bakersfield is that I’ve gained a reputation as being “sound guy friendly”, so when I show up at a venue the sound guy always breathes a sigh of relief.

Back