Rim Jobs ( cough.. )

aydee

Platinum Member
As some of my homies here know, thesedays I play pseudo reggae in a pseudo reggae band. I have a funk approach to most of the material because my reggae vocab has been pretty elementary and non existent ( Despite Sick Rick's valiant online assistance ).

However lately I've tried to work in some reggae authenticity into the tunes, which has meant a lot of rim playing. lots of cross stick, lots of rim shot, taps etc..lots of time on the edges.

Two questions.
1) I seem to have developed a stroke which strikes the only rim. It sounds like a crossstick on steroids. It seems like I've invented it. Have I? Anybody else do this/heard of this?

2) Ever since I've been attacking the rim of my Brass picollo, it has started to shed lugs after every playing session!!! This, for me is a first.. I thought i had a threading issue on one of the lugs but, its like 2 or 3 on the floor after every session..Do I need to take my snare to a drum doctor?

Last edited:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Let me get this straight, you're striking just the rim, as you would a backbeat? I do this by mistake, I never thought to do it on purpose. You like it I take it?

Your lugs are FALLING OFF?

Screws rattling around inside?
Sounds to me like you need threadlock (that compound-y stuff you put on high vibration threads)

If you play pseudo reggae in a pseudo reggae band, that's 2 negatives which = a positive. Congratulations, you're playing reggae!

aydee

Platinum Member
Let me get this straight, you're striking just the rim, as you would a backbeat? I do this by mistake, I never thought to do it on purpose. You like it I take it?

Your lugs are FALLING OFF?
Sorry, I meant screws.

No not quite as in back beat Larry, probably within the sonic range of good cross stick playing... trying to play dynamically, but my cross stick technique isnt good enough so for the louder accents I almost play a down stroke on the snare. The trick here is to find a sweet spot on the stick that doesnt jar the hand, and to hit that consistently..

If you play pseudo reggae in a pseudo reggae band, that's 2 negatives which = a positive. Congratulations, you're playing reggae!
Why do I suddenly feel like a Phil Collins song?

muckypops

Sorry, I meant screws.
No not quite as in back beat Larry, probably within the sonic range of good cross stick playing... trying to play dynamically, but my cross stick technique isnt good enough so for the louder accents I almost play a down stroke on the snare. The trick here is to find a sweet spot on the stick that doesnt jar the hand, and to hit that consistently..
I do that too. It's cool because it's like a cross stick that makes the drum ring a little.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Still confused Abe...Screws meaning tension rods? The only screws I know of on the outside of a snare drum are the ones that hold the snare butt plate, strainer, etc.

I think what you're doing on the rim isn't allowed. Bad Abe!

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
I seem to have developed a stroke which strikes the only rim. It sounds like a crossstick on steroids.
I do this by mistake
Ok, I'm confused AD. You just hit the rim ... doesn't that sound more like crossstick on apple juice than steroids? Isn't that why it's not done much, apart from by Latin / jazz players?

The trick here is to find a sweet spot on the stick that doesnt jar the hand, and to hit that consistently.
Around the shoulder of the stick?

aydee

Platinum Member
Still confused Abe...Screws meaning tension rods? The only screws I know of on the outside of a snare drum are the ones that hold the snare butt plate, strainer, etc.

I think what you're doing on the rim isn't allowed. Bad Abe!
Yes, rods, Larry. Yes, shoulder, Pol.

brady

Platinum Member
Think he's playing rim shots there, Brady. I'm also not nearly hitting that hard, but imagine the loudest cross stick you can possibly play- A little louder than that. A the sound you basically get is a loud click with the added resonance of the snare drum as well.

He's playing the rim of the rack tom. 'Riding' on the rim, if you will.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Think he's playing rim shots there, Brady. I'm not nearly hitting that hard, but imagine the loudest cross stick you can possibly play- A little louder than that.
Nup, the rim shot is his left hand backbeat. He briefly rides his tom rim (with his RH) from 0.44 for a few seconds.

I recently bought a cascara but I haven't used it yet thanks to a bunch of stitches in my back that I dare not stress. I'm expecting it will provide me with a more resonant rim click and cross-stick option. A cascara would probably suit your purposes well too.

Rim jobs ... lol ... you sick puppy :)

aydee

Platinum Member
Heck, yes! Sorry Brady, Pol - went back and looked at it again.. I was looking at his left hand..well ya its that loud, but my stroke is a little different, More finger whippy to compensate for staying in the cross sticking position. Also if you get it with meat of the shoulder you actually get a ring that sounds alright.

Maybe I'll try a fast & dirty mp3 for you guys soon

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Actually, come to think of it, no Abe you didn't invent it. Rockabilly drumbeats often employed shuffle patterns played on the snare rim with the right hand, and backbeat on the head (or rimshot) with the left. So sorry man. But if anyone asks me, as far as I'm concerned, you invented it. Yea that's the ticket. You da man.
That would actually make a good thread. Songs that ride the rim. Mmmm.... Ride the rim. OoooooHooooHooooHoooooo.....

LinearDrummer

Silver Member
thesedays I play pseudo reggae in a pseudo reggae band. I have a funk approach to most of the material because my reggae vocab has been pretty elementary and non existent ( Despite Sick Rick's valiant online assistance ).
Nice title...

Crazy i'm doing the same thingy with these guys from Belize as they are encouraging me to use my funk approach mixed in with some one-drops...

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Can I get an explanation on that there one drop?
What is the bass drum playing?
Snare on 1 and 3 right?
Hi hat pattern?
Am I missing anything?

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Never mind, Abe. You invented it for YOU in YOUR CONTEXT. If it sounds good to you and adds another colour, then you've backed a winner.

We look forward your quick and dirty rim job recording, featuring you either accenting the rim or full-on riding it :p