Right foot slips down the pedal

sinol

Hi,
I have a problem. Im right-footed drummer. The problem began when I've started to practice double bass a lot. My left foot seems to be better in ankle control, power and speed than my right foot. I can play left foot from 120-180(200) fluently and with power. Foot stays in right position and doesn't slip down or forward pedal. My right foot can't start strong hits and stay on position - it slips down the pedal. Volume of hits are also lower than on left foot. I can play 160-170bpm for 10 minutes constantly but I feel my overall control suffers from bad right foot slippind down. Even if I play around 140-150 my right foot starting to slip down. It's very annoying.
I practice double bass almost year and yes - there is progress - but Im afraid that this issue with right foot is a bad habbit and will not go away without clear advice from someone who had the same problem.
Left foot have learned a lot but right foot is strugling with ankle control even on low tempo.
Please help. Has anyone had this problem? I feel like getting deeper and deeper in this mess.
It's very strange that right-footed drummer feels left ankle a lot better than right.
...I play heel up.
Thanks and sorry for my english.
Regards.

Last edited:

iwearnohats

Silver Member
The best advice I can give (as applies to many technique problems) is take the time to slow down a lot, and redevelop your technique. Play slow and build up again, build up some stamina, if your foot starts slipping down then stop and start again.

Playing in the 120-130 range is good for developing your initial single stroke technique, but I would go back down to 80-100 and play for as long as possible focusing on power and consistency.

Then when you start building up the speed again, you should hopefully have developed better control with your right foot.

bud7h4

Silver Member
How long have you been playing? The first step is to develop your technique to the point that operating the pedals feels very natural. Eventually your foot position won't even enter into your mind.

I had this problem, it's very frustrating I know, lol!

F

funkutron

There's an anti-slip coating, it looks like black sandpaper and comes in sheets or rolls at the hardware store, they use it on stairs outdoors, truck bumper steps, etc...it has a "peel-and-stick" backing, and you can put it on your pedal foot boards and trim it to fit with a utility knife. Hope that helps...

Last edited:

mrfingers

Has your posture changed, leaning more to one side, balancing on the other, sitting favoring one side over the other? Are your arm/hand motions unbalancing you?
Maybe try heel down and see if you can spot posture/balance problems.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Maybe your right foot is naturally slipping down to find a better fulcrum or naturally moving into sliding technique. It's odd your right footed and it's the weaker foot?? When you played single pedal and hi hat was your left stronger then?

Brian

Gold Member
Has your posture changed, leaning more to one side, balancing on the other, sitting favoring one side over the other? Are your arm/hand motions unbalancing you?
Maybe try heel down and see if you can spot posture/balance problems.
Good suggestions. My initial thought was there is a seating height, or posture, or "angle" problem in one way or another.