Rig Rundowns

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
I'm a big fan of Hair Nation on SiriusXM. Often times, I'll hear songs from "back in the day" where the drum sound is just awesome.
In particular, the snare sounds of L.A. Guns' drummer Rob Gardner & Queensryche's Scott Rockenfield.

The issue is when I try & look up what gear they used back then, not much is really known. I've done some research & I get varying degrees of brands, sizes and the like.
Any idea for these two guys? Or is their sound achieved by mixing rather than just a good drum?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
If I remember correctly, Scott was a Tama endorcee in the 90s. Even if his kit wasn't, his snare sure was. This is an old reverb listing of the snare he toured with in 95.

spelman

I'm a big fan of Hair Nation on SiriusXM. Often times, I'll hear songs from "back in the day" where the drum sound is just awesome.
In particular, the snare sounds of L.A. Guns' drummer Rob Gardner & Queensryche's Scott Rockenfield.

The issue is when I try & look up what gear they used back then, not much is really known. I've done some research & I get varying degrees of brands, sizes and the like.
Any idea for these two guys? Or is their sound achieved by mixing rather than just a good drum?
There's a Scott Rockenfield book:

A collaboration between professional drummer Joe Bergamini and educator Craig R. LeMay, Operation: Rockenfield is the first of it's kind for Queensryche. This book contains detailed transcriptions, exclusive interviews and photos, a historical record of Queensryche's music and listings of all the equipment Queensryche drummer, Scott Rockenfield used on every album and tour, spanning the bands entire career. At over 100 pages in length, including educational analysis and technical recommendations, this book is packed with a wealth of material for readers to digest. This book features 21 songs such as Eyes of a Stranger, Jet City Woman, Queen of the Reich, I Don't Believe in Love and other greatest hits. This is the first in a series of artist analysis books from Carl Fischer Music that centers on prominent artists in the pop and rock world. Included with this book is a supplemental CD recorded by Scott Rockenfield that features sample drum tracks.