Ridiculously oversized kits

How can you not like a wind chime booth? TBH, I can't imagine any other band situation where I'd use wind chimes, but in about 5 places in our set, they fit beautifully.

Oddly enough it was a very lonely booth whenever I walked by it. They should've replaced the guy in the suit with a couple of girls - that would've worked wonders.

Jay brought up a good point earlier about the people like me who own multiple kits and scores of snares and cymbals.
When you think about it, it is kind of stupid to own 7 drum kits.
It is just as stupid to bring twice the gear that you need to a gig.
So I admit it, I am an idiot! A happy idiot, but an idiot just the same :)
I do love all of my gear though.
Every now and then I try to sell something. I put a real nice ad on craigs. I even spell cymbal correctly. I do make sure that one picture is upside down just for good luck.
After the first person contacts me with an extremely low ridiculous offer I take the ad down and I keep the item/s that I was going to sell. Hence, I have a lot of gear.
I would rather keep it and hardly ever use it than deal with scumbags.

This is why I'm glad I have a son and a nephew that love drums.

So now I can justify 5 kits:

Home kit:
Studio kit
Gig kit
Son's kit
Nephew's kit

I buy something nice for my home kit..., it works its way down the line. Can't manage to sell a damn thing. If nobody needs it - ends up in the rack near the back hall closet in the basement.

I don't want my kit to get much bigger, but after reading this thread, I must add at least one lava lamp.

I have two 5-piece kits, I'm not interested in either of them getting bigger but the lava lamp - definitely. They'd better have at least one each, otherwise there'll be a cat-fight. Matching or contrasting colours though ...?

Incidentally, my mother-in-law asked me why I need two kits. I told her one for hacking and one for dressage.

I have two 5-piece kits, I'm not interested in either of them getting bigger but the lava lamp - definitely. They'd better have at least one each, otherwise there'll be a cat-fight. Matching or contrasting colours though ...?

Incidentally, my mother-in-law asked me why I need two kits. I told her one for hacking and one for dressage.

"Why... why do I need two kits?! Why do you need two legs? Isn't the one sufficient?"

Its not Glen. He recently reported on drumchat that he had left his current band because they just couldn't keep up to him (or something like that)

In an interesting aside, he remarked on one thread there that he felt the forum was very "tama biased". After reading all his diatribes here about it being a "Guru/Ringo biased" forum I responded in a moment of frustration and suggested that he should go find a Mapex/Peart forum. This got me a very nasty private message from him. I totally regret ever interacting with this guy and I will not be responding.back. I really see now how he was able to get under the skin of so many people here.

I noticed he also got booted from the Pearl Drummer forum recently as well, really went off on some poor soul who did not agree with his Mapex-centric worldview......

Here is what i used for open mic nights before the bandleader/emcee asked me to bring toms. And yes that is a t-shirt on the snare. Def. a less is more kind of gig. But I can cover anything with that setup if I have to. It's more fun and creatively challenging.

Attachments

• livedrums.jpg
    livedrums.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 168
I agree with the majority of posts here about it being unnecassary to have such a large kit.

If you want it, transport it yourself, set it up (even mic it) and deal with all the issues of space and sitting in a corridor guarding your gear after your set until someone can help get it into your van then fine.

Personally, my kit isn't huge, it's bigger than average cymbal-wise but, I use them and wouldn't compromise my sound or parts. I have own recording studio so have a kit set up all the time so, I went a bit daft in the first couple of months and added secondary snares, extra toms, cowbells and such but, because i wasn't using them bsrely ever I started to dislike being behind my kit.
That sounds a bit silly but, it really did kill it for me, I felt I should be using them but could not find the right context without killing the song. Also killed my creativity so, I took them back down and am happy with what I've got.
I'll change what I need when I need (or don't need) it.

I find the two extrems.of the argument a bit ironic though. just because you CAN have 6 toms doesn't mean you should take them to a gig but on the other hand just because you can play with one crash and a floor tom doesn't mean you should strip down good songs just to boast about how you CAN play with less.

It means alot to people (possibley even more to none drummers) to hear a china where a chins is played on record, or a splash or more than one tom.

Both opposite ends of the ego trip really and both just as silly.

Back