Ridiculous bands or events that you opened for OR opened for you

mattgallettidrums

not an opening band situation, but...I played for a few years with a singer/songwriter here in the Philly area. We did a hit on the local NBC station for one of their morning shows. Basically the local version of the today show. We were the musical guest, as we were set to do a show and the leader had some local following. They were also doing a quick visit from this huge porcupine who was on display at the Philly zoo. Well, the porcupine was running behind, so at the last minute, they are interviewing a comedian or actor and someone comes backstage and says "hey, schedule issue, so we are going to have you on next, and then the porcupine". We had soundchecked, so no big deal. But yeah, opened for a porcupine on TV.

Gotta love showbiz...

Johnny2u2

Many of the weird gigs have been on tour. One that sticks out to me was playing in some random coffee shop in Los Angeles. The opening band was a free jazz duo of saxophone and drums. It wasn’t my cup of tea, especially when the drummer took an extended “drum solo” that involved him dumping out a big canvas bag full of pots and pans and crawling around on his hands and knees, grabbing various objects and banging them together. I was embarrassed for them. People that came to see us got up and left and came back later.

We had just played the Getty Center the night before, and from that point on, we referred to the tour as our “From the Getty to the petty” tour.

My very first gig as a vocalist we played at the Chicago Deaf Club. :)

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Many years ago when I was in the US Navy band we got a call from local big brass in operations, they wanted music for a ceremony to perform some patriotic tunes for the grand opening of a McDonald's restaurant located on the base. So we played Sousa marches while dignitaries gobbled down egg McMuffins.

Last edited:

pgm554

Platinum Member
Opening act for our band was a group named Silent Partner.
They had to wheel the lead singer on stage in a wheel chair.

iCe

Silver Member
So, we did our set. After us? A watermelon-eating contest.

Hilarious!

Nothing really pops to mind, besides that we did a gig a few years ago with 2 others bands. One band really wanted to open, so we took the middle spot and that other band took the closing spot. So we decided on how to set up and use the kit of the closing band, but when the first band started setting up the drummer started setting up his own kit. Ok... besides that we all agreed to play for half an hour they went on for a hour. Which is not the bizarre thing; they had a girl read poetry a couple of times which really took the momentum out of their gig. They played these typical songwriter songs, but it was just weird that someone went on to read poetry to a bunch of rockers.
Ofcourse the drummer had to take down his own kit after their set (wouldn't allow us to play his kit) and we went on 1 1/2 hour later that we we're supposed too. At least we blasted the first band off the stage, but i was super annoyed when we were asked to cut our set short and we dropped the one song i enjoyed playing most. Did a gig with the closing band one more time, those were cool dudes.

One of the most bizarre things i was asked for was by a co-worker. He organised a lot of parties in his spare time. Just rent a big tent, PA, rent a DJ and invite a couple of hundred people. So he had this idea that during the DJ set all the lights went out, spot went on and i would sit behind my drum kit to give a drum solo. Even asked if i knew a band of that i could bring my guitar player. I was a bit hesitant at first, but i let the idea sink in.

Cue red flag #1; he tried to convince me by saying 'should be fun! lot of people are spaced out anyway because of the drugs'. Not really motivated to play for people who aren't paying attention to what we're playing, so i kindly declined.

Cue red flag #2; a week or 2 later he asked me again to reconsider and turned out he was organizing erotic parties. So he tied to convince me to reconsider because of all the babes who would be scarcely dressed. Even added that you could be amazed by playing on stage and seeing people 'do their "stuff" on pillows in the corner'. My 'nope' was resolved even further after that, really uncomfortable with that idea and playing at such an event. He eventually found a band that would play there. He did offer some serious money, but i just couldn't see me self doing such a thing hahaha.

Last edited:

iCe

Silver Member
not an opening band situation, but...I played for a few years with a singer/songwriter here in the Philly area. We did a hit on the local NBC station for one of their morning shows. Basically the local version of the today show. We were the musical guest, as we were set to do a show and the leader had some local following. They were also doing a quick visit from this huge porcupine who was on display at the Philly zoo. Well, the porcupine was running behind, so at the last minute, they are interviewing a comedian or actor and someone comes backstage and says "hey, schedule issue, so we are going to have you on next, and then the porcupine". We had soundchecked, so no big deal. But yeah, opened for a porcupine on TV.

Gotta love showbiz...
Close enough to open for Porcupine Tree ;)