Ride with a Good Crash Recommendations

acsunda

Hey guys, I currently play a Zildjian K custom dry ride. It has a really clear, articulate ping that I love, but sounds way too gongy to crash. I'm thinking of changing things up. I'm specifically looking for something that has a clear, articulated ping, but that also sounds good if crashed. What do you all recommend? I've done a little youtube research and some of the rides I like the sound are:

19" Istanbul Agop XIST dry dark ride
20" Meinl Byzance Extra dry medium ride
20" Paiste 900 traditional ride
21" Paiste Signature Dark Energy Mark I raw ride
20" Paiste Giant Beat crash/ride
20" Meinl Vintage Sand ride
20" Meinl Byzance dark ride

Any of these pop out to any of you? Any other recommendations for both clear ping and good crashability?

bongoman

To my ear, every cymbal with “dry” in the name has been a terrible sounding crash. Stick with “traditional” style cymbals for the best blend of clear stick and pretty crash. Look at the 2000-2200 gr range for a 20” or 2300-2600 for a 22” (just as one aspect among many to consider).

mikyok

Platinum Member
Check the 22 Avedis Dark Ride out.

It sounds scarily like my old A which blends in with Ks.

Have a look at the 22 K light ride and K Dark Medium. The Sabian HHX complex is a very crashable ride too. 22" Giant beat would be great too.

lefty2

Platinum Member
I have a 22 in aax Sabian Omni. It's pretty good in all areas crash ride and Bell I'd say the Bell is the weakest point. It's not exceptionally loud though either the cymbal in general

Peedy

Hey guys, I currently play a Zildjian K custom dry ride. It has a really clear, articulate ping that I love, but sounds way too gongy to crash. I'm thinking of changing things up. I'm specifically looking for something that has a clear, articulated ping, but that also sounds good if crashed. What do you all recommend? I've done a little youtube research and some of the rides I like the sound are:

Any of these pop out to any of you? Any other recommendations for both clear ping and good crashability?
Uuuhhhh, how much do you want to spend?

Ransan

From your list, the big beat crash ride and 900 traditional are going to be crashable but not so much ping.
On the other hand most of those are good except they are not going to sound great while crashing. The rawness gives articulations, as well as characteristic of dryness.
If they are a ‘dry’ series most likely they have hammering to further hinder sustain.

Peedy

Somewhere between $150-$350 used.

I asked because your list looks kinda Jazzy. So your price range cuts out most of the classic Jazz Age rides. Good K. Zildjians are 2-10k and even well hammered A. Zildjians can set you back $800.

I'm actually of the opinion that every drummer should own at least one single vintage c1960 A. Zildjian ride cymbal around the 1900g-2000g territory. Versatile cymbals that cover a wide range of music. Should set you back $150-$200. Because of the cymbal hammering, lathing etc. and being geared toward jazz, it should be a great companion to your Zildjian K custom dry.

Pete

edit - this one is currently on eBay for 250 dollars. Check out the sound.

Last edited: