Ride Ponderance

johnnylaw

Greetings All!

Been lurking here a spell and gaining knowledge to help my playing along (and thank you!)

So, I'm considering a ride purchase. So far it's between a Zildjian K 20" and a Paiste Sig Dry Crisp Ride. I'd be open to other suggestions too, but I like each of these a great deal.

I play a lighter touch and stick for the most part with a four-piece bop rig, and I go for groove over power. So, not Metal or Hard Rock, but Country, Blues, Folk, Lighter Rock, some Funk and Reggae. My style is, however, in a state of evolution as I carry yet the mantle of Noob.

Any suggestions or reccomendations? Preferences?

I love groove, it's what I live for.

Honestly that 20" K will do you well. The Twenty series is great too but K is classic.

I have a K Custom Crash Ride 20" that I think sounds fabulous. A little bit brasher than the K Ride, but still great nonetheless.

My vote goes to the Zildjian 20" K Ride.

+1 for the K.
I have a 20" K ride and love it. Very groovy, great for a small band, really fits that 'groove over power' remit.
Also surprisingly versatile - I even used mine for a rock gig last month.

This is kind of getting into apples and oranges, I would think.

I've found that the primary difference between Zildjian and Paiste is that Paiste's wash tends to have more of a silvery characteristic and Zildjian's wash has a bit more of a trashy characteristic. I also know that Paiste tends to have cymbals that are slightly less dry than their turkish counterparts.

They're both great cymbals, and you have that classic K sound up for offer, but I really think that it would do you best to hear them side by side for yourself and weigh them against each other based on application.

Thanks for the thoughts so far (and I welcome others).

I have played an example of each, though not side-by-side.

I forgot to mention that I play 13" K hats, an 18" Dream Bliss crash/ride, and a 15" Sig fast crash, each of which I like and plan to continue with for now.

I need to play the K ride with my others to hear how it sits. But damn, the (used) one I played recently really sounded terrific.

Back