Ride Help

zepplin92

Hey everyone in looking for some advice. Recently i've sold some cymbals, to gain some coin for a new ride cymbal. So ive got about 250 thats about my limit but i know ill go over if i must. My setup now consists of new beats, 18 med thin avedis, and an oriental crash of doom ( a real beast love this cymbal) The rides im looking at are K custom, K custom Dark, Sweet Ride, and the K dry ride. Im not really partial to any cymbal company, so if you have any recommendations i welcome them. I play mostly rock, like the black keys, zeppelin, radiohead, wilco, and very little jazz but i like to try it out. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

diegobxr

Silver Member
Wow man, I have a cymbal setup exactly like yours, except that instead of the Crash of Doom I have an A Series China High. I'm looking for a ride too, and until now I've narrowed my search to 2 options:

22" Zildjian A Medium Ride
or 22" Zildjian K Ride

Still deciding though. Both great cymbals.

If I were you I wouldn't choose K Customs... I think they won't blend veryu well with bright A's..

Anyway, just play them and buy what your ear tells you. Good luck.

ENRICO

Silver Member
Hey everyone in looking for some advice. Recently i've sold some cymbals, to gain some coin for a new ride cymbal. So ive got about 250 thats about my limit but i know ill go over if i must. My setup now consists of new beats, 18 med thin avedis, and an oriental crash of doom ( a real beast love this cymbal) The rides im looking at are K custom, K custom Dark, Sweet Ride, and the K dry ride. Im not really partial to any cymbal company, so if you have any recommendations i welcome them. I play mostly rock, like the black keys, zeppelin, radiohead, wilco, and very little jazz but i like to try it out. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

those are pretty good choices, I would add dream contact and silken traditional,

zepplin92

Wow man, I have a cymbal setup exactly like yours, except that instead of the Crash of Doom I have an A Series China High. I'm looking for a ride too, and until now I've narrowed my search to 2 options:

22" Zildjian A Medium Ride
or 22" Zildjian K Ride

Still deciding though. Both great cymbals.

If I were you I wouldn't choose K Customs... I think they won't blend veryu well with bright A's..

Anyway, just play them and buy what your ear tells you. Good luck.

Nice man, you have good taste in cymbals i must say, im kinda leaning towards the k ride, thanks for the advice, keep them coming.

Fishbones

Silver Member
great taste in cymbals and even better taste in music! i saw the black keys last month. they were outstanding. dug back to their oldermore bluesy stuff. also love zeppelin and wilco - check out son volt. they have some affiliation with wilco i believe and theyre both roots rock.

anyway i have the k custom dry, and i used to have the dark. the dry has great stick definition, and isvery versatile, but fo u i would look at an a. the armands are nice

alparrott

Platinum Member

I've played a 20" K Custom ride with As and A Customs for going on 20 years now and it works very well, it has a very dry ping and great bell, not dark or washy at all. You'd likely be fine with it, but again, use your own ears.

jodgey4

Silver Member
I've played a 20" K Custom Dark, and it's probably one of the best versatile cymbals out there. There's really nothing it can't do. Any 22" medium weight ride should get you where you want to go.

Fishbones

Silver Member
I've played a 20" K Custom Dark, and it's probably one of the best versatile cymbals out there. There's really nothing it can't do..

this is like when you realize how hot your girlfriend was..... after you dumped her.

i sold my dark ride and got my dryride for many reasons that seemed important at the time, but now im starting to show the beginning signs of regret...

zepplin92

Hey guys thanks for the help, can someone explain the main difference betweeen a k and a k custom, would a k custom dark ride be a good choice.

And yes Son Volt is an awesome band

Tukaduem

have you tried the 22" k dark med ride? i recently bought one and it's great for pretty much all styles of music. there are lots of clips of all of these discussed at mycymbal.com(i'm pretty much hooked on that site)

Also for a brighter sound you should check out the sabian aax memphis ride, it's quite a bit cheaper than the k series............i could go on for days suggesting rides

zepplin92

Well I did it, i went for the Zildjian k 22 dark ride, and im thinking these next days are gonna be a long wait, thanks for all the help i really appreciate it.