Ride cymbal - light, pingy but full

zachary

I just posted this but only half of the thread posted, not sure why...anyway

I'm looking for a new ride cymbal something light, pingy but also quite full.
Preferably Zildjian as thats the only cymbal brand i have ever used and don't fancy changing.
I have been looking at K custom Light Ride... anyone got one that can tell me whether its cool...
but also open to advice on whats good... Btw i currently use a zildjian K crash/ride so nothing to similar to that.

cheers guys
peace out

drummerman42

Re: Ride cymbal

You should try the K Custom Dark. They'll give you a dark sound, more a vintage sound.
What size do you currently play?

Aeolian

Platinum Member

I used to have a K Custom Dry that wasn't overly clangy, but now have a K Custom Medium that is more versatile. The model will sort of get you in the ball park but you really have to play them. This model called a medium will overlap with that model called a dark which will overlap with that ping model...dry model...and so on. Especially with Zildjian Ks. It took a lot of looking to find that old Dry. I've never heard another one like it. No gonging, and a fairly clean ping.

Ride cymbals are like the search for the holy grail. You really have to try a bunch and be ready to drop the bucks when you find the right one.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member

Ride cymbals are like the search for the holy grail. You really have to try a bunch and be ready to drop the bucks when you find the right one.
Also, don't forget to be on your guard against rabbits.

tamadrm

Platinum Member

Also, don't forget to be on your guard against rabbits.
Or flying cows and French soldiers evacuating their nose in your general direction.

Also .don't forget that holy hand grenade to deal with those rabbits.:)

Steve B

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member

Fetchez la vache!

Don't be afraid to put a stick to a regular A ride too. There's some very nice Avedis rides about.
Yes, there are a few, although I've never played a Zildjian A I've liked. My experience is rather tarnished by having only played more recent models that are heavier. I'm excited about the 'new' profile they're releasing soon and that might put them back in the game there.

You might do well to look at some of the Sabian HH and HHX series. Some of those ride cymbals are phenomenally good and the profile and weight is generally better than more recent Zildjians.

jodgey4

Silver Member

You should try the K Custom Dark. They'll give you a dark sound, more a vintage sound.
What size do you currently play?
I haven't personally tried many other Zildjian rides, but this one would definitely work. It's not a dark or vintage sound, IMHO, in the 20" version at least. It's bright and modern sounding to my ears.