Ride cymbal Help

drums32

Hey guys im looking to upgrade my ride cymbal, I have a xs20 20 inch medium ride. Some rides ive been looking in to is the raw bell dry ride (maybe aa or aax). Also the 21 inch a zildjian sweet ride, or an acustom ride. Im open to suggestions, i want a ride with a nice ping and i want a ride that has a nice crash. I play gospel, and christian/rock music. I need somethin thats going to sound good if i was to play it in church or a youth group. thanks alot!!

Re: -----------Ride cymbal Help------------

Nice ping and a nice crash are a hard combo to find, because heavier cymbals are more pingy, but often harder to crash.

I would look at most medium weight rides, because most likely thin or med/thin won't be pingy enough and heavy and med/heavy won't be crashable enough.

The Zildjian K Ride has a great crash, and is fairly pingy.
The Paiste Twenty Ride 20" is a little more pingy, but not quite as good of a crash, although still good.

For what you're looking for I'd recommend the Paiste Twenty 20"

Re: -----------Ride cymbal Help------------

I'd steer you away from the Raw Bell Dry Rides because they are medium-heavy and somewhat dry, which means they're a bit of a PITA to crash (I used to have the AA and the HH but sold them because I couldn't crash them).

I've had trouble getting much articulation out of the A Custom Rides, but they do crash nice.

Sweet Rides have a spectacular rep for being all-arounders and the ones I've tried have been worthy.

I can personally vouch for the K Rides (I have a 20"), but my particular specimen could be just a skosh more pingy as it tends to wash out a little too easily when played on the bow forcing me to stick close to the bell. Still a great ride, though. YMMV.

For Sabian, I've been jonesing to get my mits on a Groove Ride, which is a darker, more complex version of a Sweet Ride, but they don't come cheap.

yea my xs20 ride has too much wash when i want to ride it then when i want to crash it it has to much of a gongy sound. Also it has an extremely small bell. I think the a custom medium ride might work. I will have to try the sweet ride too, hopefully i can go to a drum shop this weekend.

HHX Evolution is also a thinner, washier ride that has crash tendencies, but retains good ping and a nice bell. I played it for over a year in my last church and it was a great fit.

I have an Istanbul Agop Xist 21" and I think it would suit you well, and its cheap. or the 21" sweet ride is a great versatile choice, as well as any size K custom dark. I'm personally not a fan of medium rides especially the A's.. very bland the overtones are just unpleasent.

HHX Evolution is also a thinner, washier ride that has crash tendencies, but retains good ping and a nice bell. I played it for over a year in my last church and it was a great fit.

+1 the evolution 20" ride is one of the best cymbals I have ever played..best crash for a ride I have ever heard...you dont see many used ones though...most people are smart enough to hang on to them once they get one...except for me of course..

Back