Ride Cymbal Advice?

cky42091

I'm looking for a ride cymbal that has a dark ambient crash sound to it. Not TOO dark though. Something that would work as a cool crash for electronic music. I'm using a Sabian APX ozone as my main crash and I would like this ride to compliment that. I also would like a decently strong bell. Not too particular on the ping.

Any ideas? Was thinking a thinnish Bosphorus or Istanbul, but I have no experience with those type of cymbals. I just tried out a crash of doom 20" and that was slightly to intense/didn't open up quick enough. I don't want something TOO crazy, as I still want it to sound somewhat like a ride.

cky42091

I wouldn't be opposed to a bit of a trashy sound either, because the crash I'm using is pretty trashy too.

nightraider43

May wanna check out the Sabian HHX Evolution ride. It's dark but not too much. Has a lot of wash to it and a nice bell. A little to washy for me ride wise but it is crashable. You won't find a lot of stick articulation on it because it's gonna start washing on you the more you get going on it from what I have experienced with it.

Steve

cky42091

Nice suggestion. Looked at some sound clips and I like the crash sound on that. I'm not really too fond of brilliant cymbals but maybe I'll go try one out in person and see what I think. Seemed a little 'clangy' sounding though.

jspitza

I'm looking for a ride cymbal that has a dark ambient crash sound to it. Not TOO dark though. Something that would work as a cool crash for electronic music. I'm using a Sabian APX ozone as my main crash and I would like this ride to compliment that. I also would like a decently strong bell. Not too particular on the ping.

Any ideas? Was thinking a thinnish Bosphorus or Istanbul, but I have no experience with those type of cymbals. I just tried out a crash of doom 20" and that was slightly to intense/didn't open up quick enough. I don't want something TOO crazy, as I still want it to sound somewhat like a ride.
Good morning:
A great place to start would be anything in the Sabian Artisan line. I've two crashes-16 and 18 and they really are the K sound with a bit of high end sparkle. There are lots of online store that have audio samples of these:
greenbrier music, mycymbal and drumcenter of portsmouth all have great choices for rides.
Good luck in your quest!!!!

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
How do you feel about crash/rides? I had a Sabian AA 18" crash/ride with a nice fat bell and great ping, crashing was rather fast with a bit of a deep tone.