Ride Crashability

joshisaces

Gold Member
Yeah, I know... I've been posting a lot on rides being crashes... BUT, to conclude my quest, post your input on each(whichever you have and/or played) ride with the level from 1 - 10 crashability.

Sabian AAX Studio Ride
Sabian AAX Stage Ride
Sabian AA Rock Ride
Sabian AA El Sabor
Zildjian A Rock Ride
Paiste Rude Ride/Crash
Zildjian A Custom Ride
Zildjian A Custom Med. Ride
Zildjian A Custom Projection Ride
Zildjian A Custom Flat Ride

Thanks a lot!

Yeah, I know... I've been posting a lot on rides being crashes... BUT, to conclude my quest, post your input on each(whichever you have and/or played) ride with the level from 1 - 10 crashability.

Sabian AAX Studio Ride (8
Sabian AAX Stage Ride 8
Sabian AA Rock Ride 7
Sabian AA El Sabor 8
Zildjian A Rock Ride 7
Paiste Rude Ride/Crash 9
Zildjian A Custom Ride 9
Zildjian A Custom Med. Ride 7
Zildjian A Custom Projection Ride 7
Zildjian A Custom Flat Ride 6

Thanks a lot!
you ask,,,how would i have played all those. well i have in some sort of fashion. if you want to spend the bucks try a K crash/ride or even a TRX LTD ride/crash. however i dont have any soundfiles for you.

The AAX Stage is pretty crashable, about a 7 or 8.

The AA rock (21") is pretty heavy, I would only use it very occasionally. About a 3. Same with the Avedis, though it has a little more wash from my experience, so maybe a 4.

The A Custom opens up really well, a 9.

I've seen El Sabor rides used as crashes, though haven't had any experience with them myself.

The HHX Evo ride is extremely crashable as well

I use crash cymbals to crash. For playing "the Who" crash cymbals are often used as rides.

That being said...wouldn't a rule of thumb be: a ride must be medium or thinner in order to crash? Obviously someone is not going to crash Stewart Copeland's rythmatist/blue bell ride, as that thing is a boilerplate.

I know this sounds weird, but I can get a big or heavy crash to simulate crashing a ride...

i really good idea that ive seen is using a 21" a custom projection crash as a ride. it was obviously very crashable and was also very light and defined as a ride. i saw a local drummer using it at a show. it worked really well actually, i liked it at least.

so i guess the moral of the story is keep your mind open haha. theres all kinds of things you can use as crashing rides. you might not be looking for a crashable ride as much as your looking for a rideable crash.

i really good idea that ive seen is using a 21" a custom projection crash as a ride. it was obviously very crashable and was also very light and defined as a ride. i saw a local drummer using it at a show. it worked really well actually, i liked it at least.

so i guess the moral of the story is keep your mind open haha. theres all kinds of things you can use as crashing rides. you might not be looking for a crashable ride as much as your looking for a rideable crash.

I did have that in mind too! I just thought it'd be silly asking whether a 20" A Custom Crash had crashability. haha

I use crash cymbals to crash. For playing "the Who" crash cymbals are often used as rides.

That being said...wouldn't a rule of thumb be: a ride must be medium or thinner in order to crash? Obviously someone is not going to crash Stewart Copeland's rythmatist/blue bell ride, as that thing is a boilerplate.

I know this sounds weird, but I can get a big or heavy crash to simulate crashing a ride...

THe Blue Bell weighs a tonne, I really like the tone but it's almost too dry, buckets of definition but no wash behind it. I kinda feel like it would lose its body in loud music. The 22" Power Bell ride on the other hand has a lot of wash as you play further towards the edge, and makes for an awesome crash. It's about the same weight as the BB, but it opens up surprisingly easy.

As a general rule yes the thinner the ride the more crashable, but there are heavy crash cymbals as well (rock, x-metal), so it's not necessarily a good generalisation. My 21" HHX Dry ride makes a great dark, washy crash, even though it is a heavy cymbal.

THe Blue Bell weighs a tonne, I really like the tone but it's almost too dry, buckets of definition but no wash behind it. I kinda feel like it would lose its body in loud music. The 22" Power Bell ride on the other hand has a lot of wash as you play further towards the edge, and makes for an awesome crash. It's about the same weight as the BB, but it opens up surprisingly easy.

As a general rule yes the thinner the ride the more crashable, but there are heavy crash cymbals as well (rock, x-metal), so it's not necessarily a good generalisation. My 21" HHX Dry ride makes a great dark, washy crash, even though it is a heavy cymbal.

About the Rock Rides, someone said that it isn't very crashable,
yet in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teDTE1B2A6Y) is sounds like it.

I'm surprised in this discussion of crashable rides that the Zildjian Sweet Ride hasn't been mentioned. IMO it is without doubt, one of the best crashable rides going. I actually have 3rides in my set up with 2 being primarily crashes. I am using a Zildjian 22 Med as my ride. The afore mentioned Zildjian 21" Sweet Ride as a crash and a 20" Bosphorus New Orleans ride as another crash. Both the sweet and new orleans rides are amazing crashes very smooth and glassy. The 22" medium is crashable but has some not so desirable overtones.

I'm surprised in this discussion of crashable rides that the Zildjian Sweet Ride hasn't been mentioned. IMO it is without doubt, one of the best crashable rides going. I actually have 3rides in my set up with 2 being primarily crashes. I am using a Zildjian 22 Med as my ride. The afore mentioned Zildjian 21" Sweet Ride as a crash and a 20" Bosphorus New Orleans ride as another crash. Both the sweet and new orleans rides are amazing crashes very smooth and glassy. The 22" medium is crashable but has some not so desirable overtones.

I guess the sweet ride was just so obvious that it never came up.

THe Blue Bell weighs a tonne, I really like the tone but it's almost too dry, buckets of definition but no wash behind it. I kinda feel like it would lose its body in loud music.

(!) Paiste has just reinvented the Zildjian earth ride for a new generation! This time: with a brilliant finish!

I'm surprised in this discussion of crashable rides that the Zildjian Sweet Ride hasn't been mentioned. IMO it is without doubt, one of the best crashable rides going.

Wuv from P.O.D. uses the 21 Sweet ride as a crash only. So, it may be the best option, but I know you're expecting a good deal on the rock ride.

About the Rock Rides, someone said that it isn't very crashable,
yet in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teDTE1B2A6Y) is sounds like it.

And the Ping too, they are both beatiful crashes.

Exactly, there are a lot of heavy rides that make great crashes. In fact, in my opinion, thin rides in general don't crash too good. There is too much surface and too little weight to move, so they end sounding choked.

I think people are led only with what's written on a cymbal. You use rides for riding and crashes for crashing? Wipe off the label and hit the cymbal, bell, bow, edge. Then decide is it a ride or a crash, or both.

I like the Sweet Ride as a highly crashable ride.

For my money, the best crash/ride has got to be a 20" A Medium Crash. It's a big beefy cymbal but not as thick as a Rock Crash. The stick sound when riding is acceptable and it opens up for crash riding like a dream.

I use my 18" A Medium as a crash ride but the stick sound is weak in comparison to the 20".

Crash rides always seem to be such a compromise.

I like the Sweet Ride as a highly crashable ride.

For my money, the best crash/ride has got to be a 20" A Medium Crash. It's a big beefy cymbal but not as thick as a Rock Crash. The stick sound when riding is acceptable and it opens up for crash riding like a dream.

I use my 18" A Medium as a crash ride but the stick sound is weak in comparison to the 20".

Crash rides always seem to be such a compromise.

Thanks for your input.
If the deal with the Rock Ride falls through, I'll look into that.

Back