Ride bell advice

Roscoe Joe

Anyone recommend a medium/thin or thin ride with a largish bell? My aim on the bell ain't that great due to my poor vision.

A massive bell can have a big impact on sound, resulting in more volume and longer sustain. Is that what you want? If not, refine your muscle memory so that your poor vision isn't a factor. I can find the same spot on my ride's bell with my eyes closed -- each and every time. In fact, my eyes are rarely open when I play. I close off all things visual and go all-out auditory.

I think most of the big bell rides are heavy or extra heavy. They're usually billed as metal rides that can cut through a wall of amps.
Not sure I've ever heard of big bell medium/thin ride.

On my K thins, the 24" ride has almost no bell, though the 20" crash has a perfectly usable one that I leverage whenever I need a bell.

The 22" Meinl Byzance Stadium Ride sounds like what you are after. It's basically a medium weight, dark/dry ride with a large bell. They aren't in production any more, but do pop up on eBay/Reverb.

*Looks like Memphis Drum Shop has one in stock...

A massive bell can have a big impact on sound, resulting in more volume and longer sustain. Is that what you want? If not, refine your muscle memory so that your poor vision isn't a factor. I can find the same spot on my ride's bell with my eyes closed -- each and every time. In fact, my eyes are rarely open when I play. I close off all things visual and go all-out auditory.
I don't need a massive bell, just something a little bigger. I, too, often play with my eyes shut. It's just that when I use the bell for accents, particularly on faster pieces, I either hit the felt or just off the edge of the bell, even with eyes open. In my situation I don't get to play or practice often unfortunately.

ZilBel is a great idea, and less expensive than a new ride. So is an eye exam and glasses ?. I'm a -8.50/-8.25, still less expensive. Cant even find my drums without vision correction.

I don't need a massive bell, just something a little bigger. I, too, often play with my eyes shut. It's just that when I use the bell for accents, particularly on faster pieces, I either hit the felt or just off the edge of the bell, even with eyes open. In my situation I don't get to play or practice often unfortunately.

I understand. @roncadillac suggests a simple solution above, one you can use on an as-needed basis without investing in a new ride.

If looking for something new, some of the new Sabian HH rides. Most Sabians never spare a sizeable bell unless the series is ultradark.
If something old or used, the Zildjian Light K Dry has a sizeable bell, as do any Sabian HH Jazz rides.

Zildjian A or K 21" Sweet Ride (y)
I have the A version and it has a pretty large bell.

Zildjian A or K 21" Sweet Ride (y)
I have the A version and it has a pretty large bell.

Beat me to it, here's the winner. Only problem with using a zilbel is that it's a bit overkill and won't blend with a lighter ride at all.

I'd look at this too and see an optician/ophthalmologist who can help with your sight better than anyone on here unless they are an ophthalmologist!

Stevie Wonder seems to be able to drum just fine and doesn't know what a drum kit even looks like!

Beat me to it, here's the winner. Only problem with using a zilbel is that it's a bit overkill and won't blend with a lighter ride at all.

I'd look at this too and see an optician/ophthalmologist who can help with your sight better than anyone on here unless they are an ophthalmologist!

Stevie Wonder seems to be able to drum just fine and doesn't know what a drum kit even looks like!

Stevie can see

I have a 22 in aax Omni that has what I would call a standard bell size definitely not small and it's also a thin cymbal

Back