Rick Dior: great teacher joined the forum.....!!

RickP

Gold Member
I have used the reissue 602 Classic sounds cymbals since they were first introduced until recently . They are beautiful glassy and crips cymbals that devour the high harmonics .
I have become more of a fan of darker cymbals lately , so I only have 602 Modern Essentials 22” ride and 15” hats to go with some Traditional and Masters cymbals .

In answer to the original question - I used my 602s for Big Band , small group Jazz and Pop/Rock gigs .

Rick Dior

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER & TEACHER
You can hear an old 20" 602 flatride from the 70's here
it's the one on the left.

You can also hear a 1960's 18" version of this flat ride here
This cymbal is known as the "Chick Corea" flat ride since it was given to him by Roy Haynes (after he used it on the great recording, "Now He Sings Now He Sobs", most notably on the song Matrix) After that he would ask his drummers to use it. These included Airto (Light as a Feather) Adam Cruz and Jeff Ballard among others.
The new Paiste versions of these cymbals sound almost identical (minus the dirt). If you like flat rides these are the versions that put flat rides on the map.
Hope this helps
Rick

Neal Pert

You can hear an old 20" 602 flatride from the 70's here
it's the one on the left.

You can also hear a 1960's 18" version of this flat ride here
This cymbal is known as the "Chick Corea" flat ride since it was given to him by Roy Haynes (after he used it on the great recording, "Now He Sings Now He Sobs", most notably on the song Matrix) After that he would ask his drummers to use it. These included Airto (Light as a Feather) Adam Cruz and Jeff Ballard among others.
The new Paiste versions of these cymbals sound almost identical (minus the dirt). If you like flat rides these are the versions that put flat rides on the map.
Hope this helps
Rick

Thanks and welcome to the forum! It's funny because I took my one current 602-- a 20" Flatride-- to a gig with pianist Rick Montalbano and he just raved about how after he heard Now He Sings he HAD to get a 602 flat even though he wasn't a drummer. Now I know what cymbal to bring whenever I play with Rick!

Anyway, the models you have are all beautiful and I'm grateful for the quality of your recordings. It's great to hear you play those!

RobertM

Platinum Member
He is a great teacher. I first heard about him while in grad school in North Carolina. I was in Chapel Hill and tried to get lessons with him, but he was located in Charlotte and didn't have many openings in his schedule. He was very nice and supportive. (Note: This was before the possibility of online lessons.) So happy he has started teaching via YouTube.

Last edited:

BobC

Why was this thread about Rick Dior hijacked into a discussion of Paiste cymbals? We have a separate heading for that, don't we?

bearblastbeats

Why was this thread about Rick Dior hijacked into a discussion of Paiste cymbals? We have a separate heading for that, don't we?
Looks like post #14 was a thread started about cymbals. Something buggy with the site since the post #13 is something about another thread.

toddmc

Gold Member
Looks like post #14 was a thread started about cymbals. Something buggy with the site since the post #13 is something about another thread.
Thread hijacking is nothing new but strange that Neal Pert would ask a random question like that in the middle of a completely unrelated thread and everyone just ran with it (luckily Bernhard got it back on track) 😁