Rick Dior - Chapin Book Series

sumdrumguy

As if Rick's Youtube channel wasn't already loaded with enough content, he has been uploading videos playing through Jim Chapin's Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer. This book is a classic. Having someone of Rick's calibre play through the exercises, and sharing the content openly, is a gift!

Part one here...

Link to the full playlist of videos posted so far...

Last edited:
He's sharing everything now. Even the drum stick making.

You can get Vol 2 from Dom Famularo. Meesa gots it.

Apparently Jim also had a Vol 3 planned.

He's sharing everything now. Even the drum stick making.

You can get Vol 2 from Dom Famularo. Meesa gots it.

Apparently Jim also had a Vol 3 planned.

My understanding is that "Volume 3" was going to consist of a lot of the "collapsed rudiment" stuff that Claus Hessler has talked about a lot. When I met Jim in 1995 at PASIC he mentioned to me that he was working on a book about such stuff. Claus has done a collapsed rudiment poster and included other information in some of his books, but I think it's possible he may eventually (possibly in collaboration with someone else) put out a book entirely about these ideas of Jim's. At least I think I heard/read that at one point.

I bought a couple pairs of his sticks and both his books a while ago...he's a pleasure to do business with and a first class educator, as is evident from his channel! (and his books btw, which are excellent)

I sent an email enquiring about the books today. It's the least I can do as thanks for the content he has been putting out on youtube.

It will be neat to go through the books with the relavent videos Rick has posted. Especially the Three Camps book.

Fantastic resource! I went through much of Chapin's book 25 years ago but now realise what I missed (the accents for example). Very hard for a beginner. The book is more about technique than independence!

Also Dior's idea of buzzing tied notes is very good...

Back