Richie Havens

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
Richie Havens, who opened the 1969 Woodstock music festival, died Monday at age 72, his talent agency, the Roots Agency, reports.
"Richie Havens was gifted with one of the most recognizable voices in popular music," Havens' agent said in a statement. "His fiery, poignant, soulful singing style has remained unique and ageless since his historic appearance at Woodstock in 1969. For four decades, Havens used his music to convey passionate messages of brotherhood and personal freedom."

I am sorry to hear that Richie Havens had died. I saw him in 1972 at Scranton University. It was a good show.

RIP I saw him at a music festival a few years ago. He was an incredibly powerful performer. I cant remember any of the other acts on that program but his performance is still clear in my mind. A great loss

Richie was thrown onto the Woodstock stage last minute, by Michael Lang, the Festival boss.

He was unprepared to face 600,000 people ( as were most performers ) and crapped his pants when he was pushed onto the stage . Lang says the unusually long intro to 'Freedom' is Richie, just trying to stop himself from freaking out'.

However, that how the film 'Woodstock begins'.Ritchie's is the 1st performance. Watching it as a 12 yr old, changed my life forever.

RIP Richie ' Freedom' Havens.

RichieHavensAugust15.jpg

Last edited:
Gezz, they're dropping like flies. Such a sexy voice. Freedom was a killer jam in front of thousands of people.

Seventy-two is a good innings for a rock star. So many drop in their 50s and 60s when past pleasures start catching up with the poor old creaky bod.

Loved his role as the faith healer in Tommy too - the man could have even given a Bucks Fizz ditty gravitas and atmosphere ...

I got to work with Richie a couple times

a man named Bob Suede , who played on a few of Richies records and who also owns Suede studios in Hackensack NJ where some of Richies recordings were done , took a liking to my playing when I passed through playing drums for a band who hired me to play on their record.
Bob would call me in for sessions here and there and one day when he called me I arrived to find that I would be working with Richie Havens

he was kind , gracious, extremely generous and hilarious.

at that time he was suffering from some pretty severe back issues and had to take frequent breaks ......which I did not mind at all because every break became story time.....where I sat back quietly and listened of course

huge loss to the music world.....thank you for it all Richie and may you rest easy in eternal peace

RIP Richie.Another gap in the soundtrack of my life."Freedom" and his cover of "Here Comes the Sun" seem to always put a smile on my face.

Steve B

I got to work with Richie a couple times

a man named Bob Suede , who played on a few of Richies records and who also owns Suede studios in Hackensack NJ where some of Richies recordings were done , took a liking to my playing when I passed through playing drums for a band who hired me to play on their record.
Bob would call me in for sessions here and there and one day when he called me I arrived to find that I would be working with Richie Havens

he was kind , gracious, extremely generous and hilarious.

at that time he was suffering from some pretty severe back issues and had to take frequent breaks ......which I did not mind at all because every break became story time.....where I sat back quietly and listened of course

huge loss to the music world.....thank you for it all Richie and may you rest easy in eternal peace

Not as cool as that story. But in the early 90's, I was playing in a band in a "Save the Bay" festival for Narragansett Bay in RI. Richie Havens was one of the headliners and one of the most genuinely warm people you could ever meet. As it got closer to doing their set, most of of his band's equipment hadn't arrived so they they asked to borrow my drum kit, amps and a whole bunch of other stuff. Very honored to have helped him out. Rest in Peace, Richie.

-John

I was saddened to hear of Richie Havens' passing.

I remember him playing a few songs between sets at the Village Theater (eventually to become the Filmore East).

Over the years I've seen him at the largest of venues (Woodstock) and small more intimate rooms. Always a high energy heartfelt performer.

I've always thought of him as one of the finest people on the planet.

Back