Rhumbagirl's Grooves

rhumbagirl

"All Around The World" by Lisa Stansfield

Here's a groove I came up with for this song. It's a paradiddle pattern on the HiHat with the hands, but played in a lazy swing feel. It's got a great loping feel that mimics the electronic sound the studio version of this song has. Note that, because the LH is on the snare, this groove requires that uncomfortable technique for the RH on the HiHat to get out of the way. Very easy to get an occasional stick hit on the hand (OUCH).

Code:
Practice Groove:
|1.....2.....3.....4.....|
       >           >
|R LR RL RL L  LR RL RL L|   HiHat
 ^ ^^ ^      ^ ^^ ^       --- RH paradiddle
       ^ ^^ ^      ^ ^^ ^ --- LH paradiddle

Intro:
|1.....2.....3.....4.....|1.....2.....3.....4.....|
|      >    >         >  |      >    >   >     >  |
|R LR RL RL L  LR RL RL  |R LR RL RL L  LR    RL  |   HiHat
|                     o  |               o  +  o  |+  HiHat Foot
|o    o   o     o        |o    o   o     o     o  |   Kick
                                              ^^
Verse Groove:
       >           >            >           >    > 
|R LR R  RL L  LR R  RL L|R LR R  RL L  LR R  RL  |   HiHat
|      L           L     |      L           L    L|   Snare
|o    o   o     o        |o    o   o     o    o   |   Kick
                                              ^^
Chorus Groove:
       >       >   >            >       >   >    > 
|R LR R  RL L   R R  RL L|R LR R  RL L   R R  RL  |   HiHat
|      L       L   L     |      L       L   L    L|   Snare
                                              ^^

Last edited:

rhumbagirl

No video of you playing it?
I could do that. The kit is sounding good now, but I only need the hihat, snare and kick so.

Let me see if I can get the GoPro hooked up. It was a PITA to write the coded groove vs what I can do with a stylus on my ipad. So I might as well put that together.

I'm still trying to nail it myself so.

rhumbagirl

It needs a bit of polishing. This is not easy by any stretch of the imagination LOL.
EDIT: For some reason I'm getting some signal noise in the recordings. You can really hear it at the beginning of Main groove. I suppose that's from the 3 foot audio cable extension from headphone jack of the Scarlett 18i20 and to the 4-inch audio-to-USB for the GoPro. Probably good enough for recording practices but I'll have to use the DAW and do a render from master, another PITA LOL.

Intro groove:

Main groove:

Last edited:

Stroman

Platinum Member
It needs a bit of polishing. This is not easy by any stretch of the imagination LOL.
EDIT: For some reason I'm getting some signal noise in the recordings. You can really hear it at the beginning of Main groove. I suppose that's from the 3 foot audio cable extension from headphone jack of the Scarlett 18i20 and to the 4-inch audio-to-USB for the GoPro. Probably good enough for recording practices but I'll have to use the DAW and do a render from master, another PITA LOL.

Intro groove:

Main groove:
Nice groove! I like it. :)

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Nice groove Rhumba-love seeing you play. Glad you are back on the kit-you had a long hiatus didn't you? You should post more. Wow weather must have warmed up with short sleeves-I thought it was still cold up there? So your back on your bike riding hundreds of miles like my wife use to do? I hope you bike off from traffic. In my area people keep running over bicycles (one guy plowed into 8 killing a physician) so it always terrifies me when she rides. No ones gets prosecuted for these incidents it seems.

rhumbagirl

Nice groove Rhumba-love seeing you play. Glad you are back on the kit-you had a long hiatus didn't you? You should post more.
Thanks Art! It has been a long time. It takes forever to get technology setup and working in your favor. I had just spent 4 hours practicing on the kit and then turned around and got Bo's request for content done in another 3 hrs - about 40 takes over a 1 hour period and then selected the one that I liked. It was much faster than doing a take and watching it, and then doing another.

No ones gets prosecuted for these incidents it seems.
Give it 24 hrs. :p

Last edited:

rhumbagirl

Next thing ya know is rhumbagirl is subbing for David Gariabaldi!. Get down! Wit her bad self girl!
Thanks Bozozoid! Hey if you like it so much, there's enough bars in the main groove to sing a verse or a chorus section:

Been around the world and I, I, I
I can't find my baby
I don't know when, I don't know why
Why he's gone away
And I don't know where he can be, my baby
But I'm gonna find him

:oops:

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Oh now you have to play and sing it. Since you're taking up gauntlet challenges. I'd do it and wear the same dress and have the same hairstyle-cause I'm just a wild and crazy guy-and it's a Pearl Thing. I can see it feels good to get back on the kit-like old home week. I'd have a hard time going from that transcription and sight read it to play that-but I admire your skills in doing so. I have to get the song and groove in my head and then my limbs just play it-if I think about it too much consciously it messes me up it seems like-counting does the same thing. I have to sneak up on it ROFL. I'm just wired wrong I think.
She's back in the saddle again-in my best Tyler voice. Like your bicycle seat and drum throne-I guess you could be an Equestrian and rides horses too? So then it would be Gene Autry voice. Damn I'm old to think that-geez Gene Autry-now I can't get the song outta my head.

rhumbagirl

Oh now you have to play and sing it. Since you're taking up gauntlet challenges.
This groove is why drummers choose to play drums. It's complicated enough to get the bills paid without adding other responsibilities on top. No way would I attempt to sing AND play LOL.

I would however think about getting a vocal mic and singing a separate track and bring it into my DAW for a complete cover of the song. Or I could save some money and just repurpose the HiHat mic. I can tell you, I've been singing more and more during this covid period and it amazes me how I'm progressing there.

Speaking of Covid, I'm getting my Pfizer shot this afternoon. That's going to knock my left arm out for a couple of days. Hopefully not longer. Hey it was good I got out a drum video when I did LOL :)

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Singing makes you feel better doesn't it. It raises your spirits. I still sing in the shower daily-come out clean on the other side and I feel better too LOL. I can cover a few singers (I can project and be very loud-so says everyone)-Axel Rose is pretty easy actually , I do a pretty good Little River Band Suicide Boulevard, I do Nate King Cole (I love the timbre of his voice), Tom Petty is pretty easy and sometimes I can hit Roy Orbison (depends on my voice that day). My granddaughter sings all the time-she delights in it. She came to visit me this weekend and wish (and sing me-she practiced) Happy Birthday to her PopPop. Yeah I'm Pop Art. I sang to myself with everyone. I've lived twice as long as I've tried-life sure has surprised me. It's been a great ride so far-echoes of Back in the Saddle as I ride off into the sunset cussing I hate this song ROFL.

rhumbagirl

Singing makes you feel better doesn't it. It raises your spirits. I still sing in the shower daily-come out clean on the other side and I feel better too LOL. I can cover a few singers
Where's the video? What would we all give to see that!!

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Cool groove for another grand slam for Art. I drop the mic and the King leaves the room. King Art all hell the king. LOL. Wow still King-no one to knock me off my throne (it's a Kohler btw). Well I'll be King for the day-the 27th was by BD so thank you all. I finally made a list on DW-King of the Grand slam and the final word apparently on all these threads-administrators close them all quickly so I have final say. ROFL. Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 10.58.26 AM.png

Last edited:

rhumbagirl

I like your version better than the original.
Thanks Jose! I'm actually going to let the groove wear on me a little before I make my verdict. I'm 2 days out and I'm just getting comfortable putting 8 bars together. I find I naturally want to cheat the groove on the LH diddle by using the RH for the 'let' of the '&' of '2'. It offers economy of motion which should help with endurance and keep the flow going. But can I get the stiffness out of my LH eventually to not need that?

Anyway, here are the four additional accents for this sticking that I think should be learned to improvise at will. I've been practicing them by the density method (add permutations that involve one accent, then permutations involving two accents, and then the single permutation with all accents). The accents would become snare hits on the kit. Otherwise, you can practice with sticks on a pad:

Code:
Four possible accents, intended for snare:
|1.....2.....3.....4.....|
  (>)  >   (>)(>)  >   (>)
|R LR RL RL L  LR RL RL L|   HiHat
 ^ ^^ ^      ^ ^^ ^       --- RH paradiddle
       ^ ^^ ^      ^ ^^ ^ --- LH paradiddle

rhumbagirl

I've updated the OP with a "Verse Groove" and a "Chorus Groove", replacing the "Main Groove" previously. The next thing is to try to stitch all the pieces together. And then there's the fills, the crashes, etc. Enjoy!

rhumbagirl

The final version of the Verse and Chorus grooves is to add the HH foot from the Intro groove. This also simplifies the HH sticking to a degree, since it makes no sense to try and hit the HH a 2nd time while it's in the OPEN position, at least at speed for which the groove is played.

Code:
Verse Groove v2:
       >           >            >           >    >
|R LR R  RL L  LR R  RL  |R LR R  RL L  LR    RL  |   HiHat
|      L           L     |      L           L    L|   Snare
|+                    o  |+              o  +  o  |   HH foot
                        ^                  ^
                        Remove 'L' on HH   Remove 'R' on HH

Chorus Groove v2:
|R LR R  RL L   R R  RL  |R LR R  RL L   R    RL  |   HiHat
                        ^                  ^
                        Remove 'L' on HH   Remove 'R' on HH

And if we want to allow a small cheat window, we can get rid of the 'RL' on the '&' of '4' and replace it with ' R'. This helps getting the 'L' on the snare on the 'let' of the '&' of '4', just before the next measure:

Code:
Chorus Groove v3:
|R LR R  RL L   R R  RL  |R LR R  RL L   R     R  |   HiHat
                                              ^^
                                              Replace 'RL' with ' R' on HH

Oops, the updated Verse in likewise fashion:

Code: