Revisiting the music you played with in your formative years?

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Bit of a rant/ramble ahead, as per title, when I started out, the only way I knew how to learn how to play drums was playing along to records. I've progressed from there and learned to practice using systems/metronomes but I still like to play along with music and I feel like I've gone a bit stale with the songs I've been working on.

So I've been checking out some of the old music I used to play and playing along, there are some good points.
- I seem to have a really good memory for the drum parts, I don't know if that's some lucky talent I've got or if I just had low expectations
- I know more theory and rudiments than I used to, I also have better technique so part of me is kind of impressed with how I tackle it

But, on the downside part of me is kind of disappointed when I don't nail everything, and it's a familiar old feeling, which then leads me to think I'm chasing my tail, unless I sit on my arse and transcribe, which I know I don't really have the time or patience for. And I don't find some of the old drum parts as sophisticated as I used to anyway. I can definitely observe which patterns and fills have become part of my core skillset. I think maybe you can only mimmic the nuances and timing of another drummer so well and that's where I'm getting frustrated. I have a bit of a swagger/swing to my playing and it's pretty hard for me to disguise.

Maybe I'm subconsciously trying to travel back to those times and have some control over my bad life choices (sounds funny but not even joking lol). Still, I have the urge right now so I'm going back through some of my old stuff and cherry picking a few songs which I think I would like to try and conquer.

So, I'm curious about what you guys think and what your experience is?
Is it better to leave the past in the past?

brentcn

Platinum Member
Definitely have done this from time to time. What's great is, as your abilities grow on the instrument, so does your ability to perceive. Things that used to confuse, are now understood. And where we thought there was simplicity, maybe there's now a layer that we didn't (couldn't) notice before. If you're playing a song, in order to mentally get past it (to "conquer" it), that's fine. But if the song isn't a challenge, you'd be better off working on something new.

Just putting on the record and going for it seems... wasteful. Since you're not a fan of transcribing, just transcribe only the difficult parts, and work on those for a while. Build up that muscle memory, and once those parts are up to speed, and consistent, then go for the whole tune.

I have a bit of a swagger/swing to my playing and it's pretty hard for me to disguise.

We all hit walls sometimes. Maybe take some lessons, see if you can get past this.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
I like to play along with Youtube videos, sometimes I play the older songs that I started with. I'm mostly interested in playing with bands and open mics so I don't have to learn the drum parts exactly, just good enough to jam.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I used to be able to play Goldfinger's self-titled album from start to finish in one sitting at about 90%-95% accuracy. I remember trying to play "Mind's Eye" about 3-4 years ago, and after about a minute, it was a true Danny-Glover-from-Lethal-Weapon moment. I just laughed and put it away.