Reviews on GC/MF: Fake?

805Drummer

Gold Member
Seriously, this might be common knowledge, but the reviews are so fake! The "reviewers" always tell you to buy the product, and even if there's something severely wrong with it, they say "but it's fine because it's awesome!"

Here are some examples:

Found I miscalculated and needed one more stand, so I ordered one of these. I had shyed away from them because picture and description show no memory locks. I was VERY impressed when it arrived!! Easily as RUGGED as higher $ items and HAS ALL MEMORY LOCKS. ALSO,the boom is as long as DW and hides in top shaft for straight stand use as well. If I'd known how nice these were I'd have bought 3 more earlier and saved a ton of $!! Get 'em while ya can!

Honestly, for the price and the AMAZING sound you get out of these cymbals. I would rather save A LOT of money and keep buying these over any A customs, etc. These cymbals are without a doubt the BEST sounding "low end" cymbals. As I said, so good that I would rather save money and use these. They are VERY durable, very durable. The sound is top notch and has not deteriorated in a year of use. I recommend you buy these crashes and use the extra money on a good effects cymbal or drum kit. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!!!

These heads are amazing. When you first put them on and for the first few weeks they give you a weird "thunp" sound like ur hitting a carpet but once they seat into the drum after hitting them awhile they have the perfect tom sound. Plus they're like indestructable. I have them on my 2 rack toms and floor tom and have had them there for like 3 months and theres NOT ONE SINGLE DENT! Buy them, buy them, buy them, buy them!!!!

So what do you think? Add your own obviously fake reviews, that look like they were written by the owner's family!

Ironcobra

Platinum Member
They aren't fake, people are just dumb. They buy a product and over react to it. They log onto the site and rate it 5 starts for every category. They will later realize some of the flaws of the product and how much it cost them. Most of these reviews are from younger folks, whose parents buy the product for them, so if it's free anything is amazing to them.

Disco Stu

You have to take these reviews with a grain of salt, and read them carefully. Also, just a few reviews doesn't help all that much. If a product is rated positively (or negatively) over many reviews, that probably says something.

Many of the positive reviews are so glowing probably because the person is trying to justify their purchase to themselves and others. "I chose it, so it must be great." Also, people often make the judgment without much experience with other products. So, one guy may go on and on about how great his drumkit is, but it's the only one he ever used and he has no basis for comparison.

I tend to look for the negative reviews, because they often have more useful information. But you have to be careful with these too, because sometimes their negative experience was the result of their own fault or ignorance. Example, I read a review from a guy who bought a set of reso heads for his batter sides and then complained about how they broke too easily.

The best tend to be those reviews that are rated 2, 3, or 4 out of 5 stars. Here, you generally get a good sense of the positives and negatives of the product. It's not someone just uselessly fawning over something, or unfairly bashing it.

Bottom line, treat user reviews as just one consideration among many when researching a purchase.

Try adding your own negative review (if you have knowledge) and see if it survives.

On Amazon.com they have reviews, and I had a negative review taken off for a DVD bought from them. I thought my comments were accurate, though politely negative. The DVD was a 'homemade' video on horse behavior, and had cost $30. I bought it because three glowing reviews had rated it 5 stars and said good things. I believe the reviews were all put up there by friends and family, one listed the same home town as the author.

I complained to Amazon about having my review taken off, and they blew me off. Talked on the phone to someone in India who was less than helpful, and the computerized Amazon system would not let me make another review.

So anyway, don't know about GC or MF, but I wouldn't doubt it. Those reviews you sited do sound fake.

Thanks for bringing this up ... buyer beware.

T.Underhill

Pioneer Member
I always read reviews but they have to specifically address specs, pros, and cons...not just "This product RoXXXRS!" to be worth something. The quality, sound, durability, things that pro musicians understand and can intelligently speak about and review.

mrchattr

Gold Member
No offense, dude, but go look at the posts you made when you got all of your new gear (I'm not picking on you...stay with me here). They were all filled with "AWESOME" and "COOLEST THING EVER" and stuff like that. I think you're seeing the same thing...players, often younger ones, who get over-excited about their new gear and post reviews that are based on that excitement.

805Drummer

Gold Member
No offense, dude, but go look at the posts you made when you got all of your new gear (I'm not picking on you...stay with me here). They were all filled with "AWESOME" and "COOLEST THING EVER" and stuff like that. I think you're seeing the same thing...players, often younger ones, who get over-excited about their new gear and post reviews that are based on that excitement.
I know I posted that, but I actually did write a real review of it for Guitar Center's listing of it. They never put it up, probably because I did say some cons about it, such as that it looks like a toy, and the tom mount is weak.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
If I were to go onto MF or GC to post a review of the 24" K Light Ride, even though I've had it a year, my review would sound positively giddy, as I'm sure anyone who has seen my posts about it here on DW would attest. I didn't buy mine through them, though (check my signature), so I don't have any desire to post there. Plus, I get all of my "giddiness" out here.

805Drummer

Gold Member
If I were to go onto MF or GC to post a review of the 24" K Light Ride, even though I've had it a year, my review would sound positively giddy, as I'm sure anyone who has seen my posts about it here on DW would attest. I didn't buy mine through them, though (check my signature), so I don't have any desire to post there. Plus, I get all of my "giddiness" out here.
It's one thing when you're giddy and happy about what you have, but it's kind of suspicious when Guitar Center reviews always say "YOU WON'T REGRET BUYING THIS" and "YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED." Same with Musician's Friend. They're both owned by the same people. Obviously, there are some real reviews on there, but doesn't it seem like the majority are fake?

Here are the endings of the reviews for your cymbal on Guitar Center, http://www.guitarcenter.com/Zildjian-24--K-Light-Ride-Cymbal-104307095-i1176955.gc and some more cymbals...

The only problem may be the price but it is worth every penny! Just buy it, you wont regret.
Overall, this cymbal is amazing, and worth every penny you spent on it. It can be used for anything. BUY IT.
Buy this RIDE!!!!! you wont regret it
if youre looking for a nice new ride, Id buy this one for sure.
Great cymbal, Well worth the money
AWESOME cymbals AWESOME!!! With this cymbal line you definitley get a lot more than you paid for.
I recomend buying this cymbal.
The value is a great price!! And you could use it for any style of music. My favorite cymbal I've hit is this one!! I definatley recommened this cymbal!!!! You won't be dissapointed.
You will not be dissapointed.
GO BUY THIS NOW!

And my personal favorite:

Great for advanced players!

Which was in a review for a ZBT crash.

Last edited:

mrchattr

Gold Member
It's one thing when you're giddy and happy about what you have, but it's kind of suspicious when Guitar Center reviews always say "YOU WON'T REGRET BUYING THIS" and "YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED." Same with Musician's Friend. They're both owned by the same people. Obviously, there are some real reviews on there, but doesn't it seem like the majority are fake?
I still don't think so. I've written a few reviews, and I always include language like that. Mainly because I know it's a review for people considering buying it, so I let them know that I think they will be pleased if they do.

I've only ever written positive reviews, though (never had a piece of gear that I hated so much that I wanted to warn other people about it en masse)...so I can't comment on that aspect of it.

Also, a lot of products don't have any reviews on those sites...you'd think they'd make 'em up about everything if they were going to make 'em up.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I have posted on several web sites, even did one today for Overstock.com. I'm fair and upfront about problems. I emailed photos of my XM satellite radio install to Amazon.com and it was on their site for over a year. I believe most but still take them all with a grain of salt when it comes to buying.

Old Doc Yak

This is a little off topic but just curious. Bongodoggie, sounds like you're into horses. Nice to see another drummer with horse interests. Old Doc Yak.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
I wouldn't put stuff like that in my review because most of the 24" K rides I've played at GC were too heavy. I don't typically read the reviews, but I'm sure they have some kind of screening process, and maybe they take liberties along the way to add some themselves. I just don't know...I get my reviews from other drummers.

Great for advanced players!

Which was in a review for a ZBT crash.
Now THAT'S classic! Did they say that they hope to one day upgrade to the new Pitch Black cymbals? Then they'd be totally pro!

harryconway

Platinum Member
Advertising. Big money. Yes, of course some of reviews are fake. The guy who owns the company can submit a review. So can his wife, girlfriend, mother, brother, and all his friends and employees. And reviews get censored, deleted, or never posted in the first place. Buyer beware.

This is a little off topic but just curious. Bongodoggie, sounds like you're into horses. Nice to see another drummer with horse interests. Old Doc Yak.
Sure enough, I love horses, my horse in particular, a foundation quarter horse born here in Oregon.
And that don't mean I'm a country western drummer!

So as not to rustle this thread, think I'll start another to see if there are others so afflicted.

BattleArmor

Silver Member
I don't really like horses alot......

Anyways.

I actually recieved a gift card for 25$ from GC today in the mail.

I will be going there soon.

And the reviews on the websites are probably fake, but i dont pay attention to them, because I buy what sounds good to me, not what other people like or dislike.

K

kjsm

They aren't fake, people are just dumb.
that's not necesarily true. for every case you could prove it is, there's one where it isnt.

Most of these reviews are from younger folks, whose parents buy the product for them, so if it's free anything is amazing to them.
that's pretty ignorant
even if it is 'like that', bear in mind that if u get everything for free as a pro player you could react the same. or a younger/older person who gets it bought for them might be more blase about it simply because they DIDNT have to pay for it. and arent overcritical in their 'ignorant youth'. age and wisdom dont necc correlate

drumhead61

Gold Member
personally, I do not hold too much in someone's review it is after all their opinion and what is great for them may not necessarily be great for me...when I do not see a balance in the posts I do not hold them too high in regard.

Ironcobra

Platinum Member
that's pretty ignorant
even if it is 'like that', bear in mind that if u get everything for free as a pro player you could react the same. or a younger/older person who gets it bought for them might be more blase about it simply because they DIDNT have to pay for it. and arent overcritical in their 'ignorant youth'. age and wisdom dont necc correlate
Think of it like me, in different scenarios:

A 14 year old gets a brand new Mapex M-Birch for his birthday, and upgrade from his CB, and is completely overjoyed.
Likely to write a bad review? Yes.

A 14 year old works all summer just to buy a M-Birch. He has a little more appreciation for the value of a dollar.
Likely to write a bad review? Possibly.

A 55 year old professional Jazz drummer gets his sponsors brand new series of hybrid drums, for free.
Likely to write a bad review? Possible, but very unlikely.

A hard working man with a family and bills to pay finally has enough money for a new kit. After months of vigorous research, he finally drops the 2k on a Gretsch New Classic.
Likely to write a bad review? I highly, highly doubt it.

Long story short, adults tend to be a little smarter about how they word things, especially when they work hard for it. I doubt you'll find an adult, sponsored or not, saying something along the lines of "OMG, u should hear the kick drum on this thing it sounds like a CANNON!! BUY THIS u wont regret it!"

that's not necesarily true. for every case you could prove it is, there's one where it isnt.
Proving that people are dumb or proving that the reviews are real/fake?