Returning to gigging... how are your experiences?

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
I did my comeback gig on July 4 for a small party, with two sets and light volume. It took a few songs to get back into the groove with live players, but we all locked-in quickly. I didn't break a sweat and wasn't tired or sore, and it was an afternoon gig so I wasn't up late.
This will be me in a month as the first post-coved gig is finally booked. A small blues band that hied me to fill in for their regular guy in a small artsy town south of me.
I'm definitely looking forward to it, but am nervous at the same time since, like Bermuda, I haven't played with actual people in a long while.

A J

Not much going on here in the way of gigs.

I'm reuniting with my old band (2 hours away) to play an unpaid memorial gig. I'm really looking forward to this.

My new band isn't going anywhere. The new lead singer is mediocre at best. Everyone in the band (except me) has a medical condition that precludes them from lifting heavy equipment. I've resigned myself to the fact that by choosing to retire in a very rural area, I have severely limited gigging potential.

On the positive side....
The guitar player of the new band and I are best buds.
I'm sill real tight with my old band guys.
I'm happy practicing once a week with a live band.
If I never play another bar, I think I'll die a happy man.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I have a quick gig on Friday with the surf punk band, and just got another gig with the rockabilly band in 2 weekends <-- outdoor fest/hot rod show...The Rockabilly Ruckus 2021 in Ohio

rebonn

We only do outside gigs. About 6 since starting back up and were planning on returning to indoor gigs until the recent Delta Variant explosion. Hey, that's a good name for a rock band.

rhumbagirl

We only do outside gigs. About 6 since starting back up and were planning on returning to indoor gigs until the recent Delta Variant explosion. Hey, that's a good name for a rock band.
"Hey I wanna catch Delta Variant this weekend! How much are the tickets?"

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I'm definitely looking forward to it, but am nervous at the same time since, like Bermuda, I haven't played with actual people in a long while.

FWIW, the first gig took a few songs to lock-in, but on the next gig 3 weeks later - with a different band - everyone was tight at the start.

So once you're back into it, you'll be fine moving forward. :)