Returning to drumming after nearly two years

Juniper

Gold Member
After 22 long months away I can finally count down the hours to playing again.

After taking a hiatus back in August 2019 (for the impending birth of our firstborn) it’s been nice for some time away for more time to bond with her, but as gigs have been off the last 15 months I haven’t been able to miss it a great deal, other than in those quiet moments.

I’ve always stayed connected to the drums, I just haven’t played a kit in that whole time.

I was approached by a group of local players a couple of weeks ago to jam with a view to playing some local shows and after discussing it with the other half we both agreed it was time for me to have something else to do other than changing nappies, walking our dogs, working the job and fixing up our new house….etc

I was sent the set list last night, now I’ve just got to learn 13 songs by Friday evening, plus attempt to channel some muscle memory at the rehearsal itself, as I won’t get the chance to play a kit until then.

Truth be told I’m actually looking forward to making some inevitable mistakes so I know what to focus on improving ahead of a possible next time. It might be a rude awakening but who knows. Who dares wins, right?

I cannot tell you how exciting it was opening up some of the bags and cases I have with me here to start prepping earlier, seeing pedals and cymbals I’ve not seen in nearly two years.

Even seeing my bag full of cymbal felts, hi hat clutches, keys and ear moulds that have served me for many years was exciting enough.

Also, I may be picking up a gigging kit soon, but more to follow on that if indeed I progress with it.

Finally, it’s happening again. Bringing up a child is very fulfilling and rewarding but, my lord, I’ve missed the buzz and playing with other musicians.

Roll on Friday evening.

Last edited:

Fritz Frigursson

good going man, i wish i got gigs… too much time in the practice space and not enough on the stage for me

iCe

Nice! When went to university i stopped playing a lot and from 2007 to 2011 i played sporadically in a coverband. Still was looking vids, participated on forums and kept in touch with al the developments etc. So when i graduated i rewarded myself with a new cymbal set (12-7-2011, so i almost have it for 10 years haha) and started playing again. Got in touch with a guitarplayer (who i still play with) and a bassplayer and noticed how rusty i was. Took some time before i was back in my old form, but if you have love for the instrument it's just like a riding a bike :)

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
This makes me so happy! Awesome! Gigging after a hiatus is one of the best feelings ever...mistakes and all.

I've raised my kids around playing music, and it's been really hard. I took off quite a few years of playing drums when my kids were tiny. My youngest is now 10 years old, and they travel with me when they can. They love it, and I do too. Let us know how it goes!

Juniper

Gold Member
Thanks all, I’ve not felt this much excitement towards music in a while (I guess I had to block out a lot of that whilst not playing) so I’m absolutely counting down the hours until Friday now.

Regardless of how it goes on the evening I’m just very, very excited to be back doing something that is part of me to my core.

Also, I may have picked up a new (vintage) kit earlier this evening that I’ve been after for some time, to leave down here for music opportunities such as this while we spend time between two parts of the UK.

Looking forward to getting to know her in more detail this Friday and I’ll be sure to add a ‘new gear’ thread with photos after her maiden voyage with me.

Appreciate all your kind words and glad others have found their way back to the instrument.

It’s a hard one to shake isn’t it.

DDD5C485-46D2-4F17-8FC9-1EDCB765D924.jpeg
D90A67C4-975A-4686-9A5A-E352FFBB6E79.jpeg

Last edited:

Juniper

Gold Member
This makes me so happy! Awesome! Gigging after a hiatus is one of the best feelings ever...mistakes and all.

I've raised my kids around playing music, and it's been really hard. I took off quite a few years of playing drums when my kids were tiny. My youngest is now 10 years old, and they travel with me when they can. They love it, and I do too. Let us know how it goes!

I bet that is brilliant being able to share your passion with your kids, plus lots of quality time making memories together too as a result.

That’s great! I love that

My little one is already showing an insane amount of rhythm (she can copy basic rhythmic parts already at 17 months) and is obsessed with getting into my office and stealing my drumsticks, then running all over the house hitting things.

I’m hoping she takes to the drums when she’s older so I can teach her & I can be her roadie.

Your situation sounds absolutely brilliant.

Last edited:

Juniper

Gold Member
Well that was bloody enjoyable.

The band were all lovely and asked me to join after the first song, so I guess I’m now with band again.

The band informed me that they are relaxed about the frequency of gigs so I’m not rehearsing and gigging all the time, so will not put too much pressure on the other half with the little one.

Plus the rehearsal studio is about ten minutes drive away.

Which was what I was after at this stage.

The only negative, I have a rather nice blister on my thumb. Got to get those calluses back.

The new kit sounded amazing too. The Slingerland really sings and didn’t need to adjust it at all. I’ll probably switch to coated ambassadors though, haven’t had the chance to get heads after only getting the kit two days ago.

The only bad sounding drum was my trusted Black Beauty!!. Needs a tweak, tuning wise, after being sat in a case for nearly two years so it’s expected and I didn’t get time for that in the room.

All in all, that was great fun. Fantastic to be playing again.

35DB83C2-9B3E-4267-9FA2-382A30790153.jpeg

Last edited:

harryconway

Platinum Member
The band were all lovely and asked me to join after the first song, so I guess I’m now with band again.
Great news !!!!
The new kit sounded amazing too. The Slingerland really sings and didn’t need to adjust it at all. I’ll probably switch to coated ambassadors though, haven’t had the chance to get heads after only getting the kit two days ago.
More great news. Looks like 3 ply w/re-ring shells.

yammyfan

Just an observation but that snare drum might sound a lot better if you hit it dead-center. Those strike marks are spread around quite a bit.

DrumWhipper

Go do your thing! You’ll do great!

No Way Jose

Silver Member
This should be fun. Any talk of gigging?